Macromedia Dreamweaver Ultradev 4: Training from the Sourceby Nolan Hester, Noland Haster
Based on the phenomenally successful Dreamweaver, UltraDev gives you the tools to/p>/i>
Macromedia UltraDev is a powerful Web-building toolif you know how to get the most out of it. Don't waste your valuable time: Go straight to the source and learn UltraDev from the experts, with Macromedia Dreamweaver UltraDev 4: Training from the Source.
Based on the phenomenally successful Dreamweaver, UltraDev gives you the tools to build dynamic, data-driven Web pages, with everything from simple forms to sophisticated database applications and inventory systems. Dreamweaver UltraDev 4: Training from the Source is the only book to take you step-by-step through lessons and projects developed by Macromedia's own authorized training centers. The accompanying CD comes complete with all the files you need to work through every step in the book, just as the trainers at Macromedia would.
Read an Excerpt
IntroductionMacromedia's Dreamweaver UltraDev 4 combines Dreamweaver's ease-of-use with the power of databases to create dynamically created Web pages. Think of the result as Dreamweaver on steroids. Macromedia Dreamweaver UltraDev extends Dreamweaver's renowned ease of use into the realm of database-driven Web sites. If you already use Dreamweaver, you'll feel right at home with UltraDev since the programs share many of the same interface features. UltraDev's interface shares most of the basic elements found in Dreamweaver, including the Launcher, main toolbar, and panels.This Macromedia training program introduces you to the major features of Dreamweaver UltraDev 4 by guiding you step-by-step through creating database-linked Web pages. The book's 11 lessons start with setting up connections between your Web pages and databases and conclude with building server behaviors. This roughly 20-hour curriculum includes these lesson topics:
Lesson 1: UltraDev 4 Basics
Lesson 2: Configuring Your Web Site
Lesson 3: Setting Up Database Connectivity
Lesson 4: Adding Dynamic Data
Lesson 5: Building Multirecord Result Pages
Lesson 6: Building Insert Pages
Lesson 7: Building Update Pages
Lesson 8: Creating Searches with SQL Variables
Lesson 9: Displaying Server Objects
Lesson 10:Setting Passwords and Security
Lesson 11: Building Server Behaviors
Each lesson begins with an overview of its contents and what you can expect to lean Lessons are divided into focused, bite-size tasks to build your UItraDev skills. Each lesson builds on what you've learned in previous lessons.
THE TRAINING FROM THE SOURCE APPROACH AND ITS ELEMENTSThroughout the book, you will encounter some special features:
Tips: These highlight shortcuts for performing common tasks or ways you can use your new UltraDev skills to solve common problems.
Notes: These provide background information about a feature or task.
Italic terms: Words in italic indicate the exact names of files, text windows, tabs, or buttons within dialog boxes, and other items that you'll be using or selecting. The italics are meant tat help you quickly find what's being discussed. An example: Click the Select button to navigate to the database you want to use.
Code font: Used to indicate scripts, SQL statements, HTML tag and attribute names, and literal text in examples. An example: Type connAndes as the name for your connection. Italicized code font indicates code items where you are expected to replace the italicized word with a word related to your own files or documents. An example: Type yourConnection as the name for your connection.
Menu commands and keyboard shortcuts: Other ways to execute UltraDev's mousebased commands. Menu-based commands are shown as: Menu > Insert > Image. Keyboard-based shortcuts (when available) are shown in parentheses after the first step in which they can be used; a plus sign between the names of the keys means you press the keys simultaneously. For example: (Ctrl+Alt+l Windows, Option+Command+l Mac) means that to insert an image you should press the Ctrl and Alt and I keys at the same time if you're using a Windows machine or press the Option and Apple and I keys at the same time if you're on a Mac. Appendix A at the end of the book offers a quick-to-use chart of all of UltraDev's keyboard shortcuts.
SETTING UP THE LESSON FILESYou'll find all the files needed for these lessons on the accompanying CD, regardless of which of three server models you decide to use. The ASP folder contains lessons based on using Active Server Pages applications. The ColdFusion folder contains lessons based on using ColdFusion applications. The JSP folder contains lessons based on using JavaServer Pages applications. Whenever there's a substantial difference among the three, the book contains instructions for all three options.
No matter which of the three folders you use, the structure within each is essentially the same: a folder for each of the 12 lessons, a Microsoft Access 2000 database file (andescoffee.mdb), and two more folders labeled Current files and Finished site. Feel free to copy the folder for your chosen server model (ASP, ColdFusion, or JSP) to your hard drive for faster performance. Be sure, however, to preserve the exact names and structure of the files within the Current files folder.
The files in Current files and in each of the 12 lesson folders are initially identical, but they will diverge as you work through the lessons. If you want to keep safety or inprogress copies of your own working files, you should keep them in the Current file folder and rename them in a way that will help you identify them. For more information how to avoid any problems with the lesson files, see the ReadMe file on the CD.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARNBy the end of this book you will be able to:
- Configure your Web site and connect it to a database
- Add dynamic text, images, and form objects to your Web pages
- Build a results page for displaying database information, complete with navigation tools to display details
- Create an insert page for adding new information to your database from within a Web browser
- Create an update page for changing database records from within a Web browser
- Construct detailed queries for searching your database
- Set up passwords and security measures to control access to your database
- Add UltraDev's built-in server behaviors to extend the power of your Web site
- Build your own customized server behaviors
MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
- Windows 95, 98, ME or 2000 Professional or Mac OS 8.6 or 9.x
- 64 MB available RAM
- 170 MB available disk space (Windows) or 130 MB available disk space (Macintosh)
- 166 MHz or faster Intel Pentium processor (or equivalent) or G3 or later processor recommended
- QuickTime 3.0 or later
- CD-ROM drive
- 256-color monitor with at least 800 x 600 pixel resolution
- Version 4 or later of Netscape Navigator or Internet Explorer (to view the Help system)
- Macromedia Shockwave 8 plug-in installed in your browser (to view the Help system's Showme movies)
- For Windows NT 4 users: Service Pack 5 or later installed
- Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2.1 or later (MDAC 2.1 is installed if you have installed Office 2000.)
- If you are using JDBC, a current version of a JVM, you need one of the following:
- Sun's Java Runtime Environment (or the Java Development Kit) version 1.8 or later
- Microsoft VM for Internet Explorer 5.01 (Build 3240, released 2/8/00)
- Macintosh Runtime for Java (MRJ) 2.2 or later (with JDK 1.8 support)
- A JDBC driver for the database you'll be using
- Optionally: RmiJDBC-a client-server JDBC driver based on Java RMI
SERVER REQUIREMENTSDreamweaver U1traDev 4 supports the following servers for Active Server Pages applications (ASP):
- Microsoft IIS 3.0 or later (part of Windows NT Server and Windows 2000 Server)
- Microsoft Personal Web Server (part of Windows 95, 98, ME, and 2000 Professional)
- Chili!Soft ASP
Dreamweaver UltraDev 4 supports the following server for ColdFusion Markup Language (CFML):
- ColdFusion 4.0 or later
Dreamweaver U1traDev 4 supports any JavaServer Pages (JSP) 1.0-compliant server, and has been tested with the following:
- Allaire JRun 2.3.3
- IBM Websphere 2
- BEA WebLogic
- iPlanet Enterprise Server
- Apache Tomcat/Jakarta
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >