Read an Excerpt
magic when you need it
150 spells you can live without
By Judika Illes
Red Wheel/Weiser, LLCCopyright © 2002 Judika Illes
All rights reserved.
money and career
Financial concerns are a great place to start because, while it's true that money won't buy happiness, the lack of it sure can spark and aggravate any other emergency!
Use the colors green, gold, and yellow to draw prosperity toward you.
Incorporate the numbers two and three into your spells as they encapsulate the concepts of doubling and increase.
Lodestones allegedly draw life's riches towards you, as does the root charm High John the Conqueror.
Because its color is a rich gold, jojoba is the oil of choice for money spells. Clear jojoba has been bleached; its power is broken.
Appropriately, there are an abundance of spirits of prosperity! Hotei, the Chinese spirit of wealth, is particularly friendly and generous.
get cash fast
Some problems are very basic, like you need money now!
If you're desperate for a specific sum of money, this spell sends out an SOS to the universe for immediate financial aid.
Shopping Bag Full of Cash
1. Cut a square from a brown paper bag. Write the exact amount you need in the center.
2. Dress a green candle with essential oils of basil and bergamot.
3. If you're so inclined, petition the spiritual power of your choice to rescue you from your dire predicament.
Place the paper under the candle. Burn the candle daily for fifteen minutes at a time while petitioning, praying, and affirming your request until the specified amount is accumulated.
Shi Shi Oil
An old Hoodoo formulation, Shi Shi Oil has earned a reputation for putting poverty on the run and attracting wealth to the wearer—fast!
Shi Shi's basic formula is a blend of angelica root, bay leaves, and cloves. You may use either dried botanicals or essential oils.
1. If using dried herbs, grind them together using a mortar and pestle.
2. Add one tablespoon of the resulting powder to one ounce of jojoba oil, or add four drops of each essential oil to an ounce of jojoba. If you've used dried herbs, it may be necessary to shake vigorously to distribute them throughout the oil. If you've used essential oils, gently roll the sealed bottle to blend them.
Rub Shi Shi Oil into your hair and onto the palms of your hands.
Add it to your bath for extra intensity: Light a green candle and visualize yourself prosperous, secure, and happy.
Essential oil of clove can really irritate your skin. You may need to dilute the blend further by increasing the quantity of jojoba oil. Essential oil of angelica is a photosensitizer; avoid contact with direct light for 12 hours after its use.
* * *
get a loan
The crux of this dilemma is that you need someone to be generous toward you, and that person may have (let's be frank!) very good reasons not to be. Both spells are most effective when you apply for the loan in person.
Hand Me the Money!
This spell is reputed to loosen up tight pockets and induce random acts of kindness.
1. Place a whole orris root in a small jar and cover it with jojoba oil.
2. Add 12 drops each of the essential oils of lavender and clary sage.
3. On the night prior to applying for the loan, add some of the oil to a tub filled with warm water and bathe. Inhale the fragrance and concentrate on success!
4. Just before applying for the loan, rub a bit of the oil onto the palms of your hands.
5. Do not wash your hands before you can shake hands with the loan officer.
Sometimes hands work the magic, but sometimes it's the feet!
1. Blend essential oils of basil, frankincense, myrrh and sandalwood in a tablespoon of sweet almond oil. Only a very few drops of each oil are needed.
2. Before applying for the loan, anoint your heels with the oil. (This oil can be very effective when applying for a job, too!)
* * *
have your debts forgiven
You must understand that there is no spell that allows you to welsh on your debts without repercussion. There is such a thing as karma. However, perhaps you've found yourself in a critical financial bind. You'd love to pay off all your debts if you could, but you can't, and there's little hope for the situation changing in the foreseeable future. Now that's a whole different set of circumstances ...
Spiritual Board of Directors Decision
In Chinese tradition, tremendous efforts are made to collect (and pay!) all money owed before the lengthy New Year period ends. If it can't be collected by then, debts may be forgiven, as it's inauspicious to carry debt into the New Year.
You will need a statue of Hotei, the fat, laughing Lord of Wealth, and of beautiful Kwan Yin, Goddess of Mercy. (Lacking statues, designate something, perhaps candles, to represent them.)
1. Place them side by side, with a dish of uncooked rice between them.
2. Carve your name, birthday, and the amount of money you need to comfortably pay off your debt onto a white or green votive candle. Place the candle on the bed of rice and light it.
3. Speak to Hotei and Kwan Yin. Explain your debt situation and tell them you are leaving it in their capable hands.
4. Designate a date, by which time Hotei and Kwan Yin must reveal their decision to you. You must contact your creditors by that date. Respectfully and honestly explain your dire circumstances and offer to pay an amount that you can realistically afford.
Should Hotei bless you with riches, you must promptly pay off your debts.
If this blessing is not to be, request that Kwan Yin transmit compassion to your creditors.
Letter of Mercy
1. Carve your name, birthday, and the sum of money that you owe into a white candle.
2. Dress the candle with Tranquility Oil (Roman chamomile, lavender, and ylang ylang) in an olive oil base.
3. Write a letter to your creditor. Apologize for the delay, explain your circumstances, and detail the repayment plan that's ideal for you. Sign and date the letter.
4. Place the letter beneath the candle. Make your wish and light your candle.
5. When the candle burns out, dispose of any remaining wax or paper fragments outside your home. (Remember, this is a spirit letter, not intended for other humans to read. If the letter isn't destroyed during the burning process, make sure that it's illegible prior to disposal.)
6. Make an honest effort to repay a portion of your debt.
* * *
collect your debts
Watch out! These rank among the most powerful spells. Be absolutely sure that there's no doubt that you're entitled to the money.
Green Devil Repossession Service
Pay me back or there'll be the devil to pay! Green candles shaped like little devils are burned to get cash fast and to have loans repaid. Command and Compel Oil is a powerful formulation that allegedly forces others to do your bidding. Combine the two to get your money back.
1. Add five drops of essential oil of bergamot to Command and Compel Oil (see page 20 for the formula).
2. Carve your debtor's name and the sentence, "Give me my money!" on a green devil candle.
3. Rub the candle with Command and Compel Oil while simultaneously concentrating on your dilemma.
4. Write the debtor's name nine times on a square of brown paper. If he or she uses pseudonyms or multiple names, write them all. Leave no name to hide under!
5. Write the phrase "Give me my money!" over each of the names, in the process crossing the names out.
6. Anoint each corner of the paper with a drop of Command and Compel Oil.
7. Place the paper beneath an overturned saucer and place the candle on top.
8. Light the candle and, as it burns, speak directly to the candle, demanding the return of what is rightfully yours. Visualize that you are speaking to your debtor, if this is effective for you. Say whatever is in your heart; however, the traditional incantation goes something like this:
(Borrower's name), give me my money now!
You owe it to me. I need it. Give it to me.
You can't rest until you give it to me!
Whenever you see the color green, you're thinking about the money you owe me
Whenever you hear the clink of metal, whether from coins or forks or knives, you're thinking about the money you owe me
You can't sleep until you give me my money,
You can't eat until you give me my money,
You can't have sex until you give me my money.
(You get the gist. Make the effects as specific as possible and as relevant to the personal situation as possible.)
Give me my money or you will burn.
1. Remove the paper from under the saucer, singe it a little in the fire, and then, with your fingers, pinch out the candle.
2. Repeat this ritual for seven days.
At some point during those seven days, you must attempt to contact the borrower and calmly ask for the return of your money. If any portion is repaid, consider the spell concluded. Offer your thanks to the debtor and helpful spirits alike.
If by the eighth day, however, no money is forthcoming, light the candle again. Hold the paper in the flame and allow both the candle and paper to burn completely. Repeat the invocation but change the last line to:
You have my money, Now burn!
See a Penny, Pick it Up
Because the green devil spell comes so close to a hex, it's necessary to contact your borrower. You must offer the opportunity for the debtor to save him- or herself by repaying you, although by no means are you required to mention the spell. If you would prefer a more indirect, anonymous approach, the following spell is also allegedly very effective.
1. Soak a penny in Command and Compel Oil (see page 20) for twenty-four hours, preferably while exposed to the light of the full moon.
2. Glue the coin to the middle of a square white paper card.
3. On the card, write (in Dragon's Blood ink, if possible), "You owe me. Now pay me!"
4. Mail it to your debtor. It isn't necessary to sign the message or make any other contact, although, as it's likely that he or she owes money to many people, it might be in your best interests to somehow identify which debt is being called in!
* * *
collect your child support
This is the most profound debt of all as it involves issues and obligations larger than money alone. If collecting child support is your personal crisis, rest assured that a host of sympathetic spirits exist to battle on your behalf.
Madame Ezili's Collection Service
The spirit most easily roused to action is probably Ezili Danto, the fierce Vodoun champion of single mothers. A hardworking single mother herself, she is intensely devoted to her own daughter, Anaïs, whom she supports single-handedly. Madame Ezili has absolutely no patience with deadbeat dads. No need to explain your situation to her; she already knows all about it. Appeal to her for assistance in getting the money you're owed and also to increase your financial independence so you won't need it so desperately.
1. Designate a small, flat space—a table or countertop—as your altar. The colors red and/or white will catch Ezili Danto's attention.
2. Set out an offering of a glass of 151 (overproof) rum and a glass of Florida Water (see page 21), side by side.
3. Speak to her from your heart and tell her what you need.
Myrrh Money Pot
Once upon a time, myrrh was one of the most expensive items on Earth. Less pricey today, although no less precious, myrrh can be used to open tight pockets. The fragrance also evokes the presence of the powerful Egyptian spirits Hathor and Isis, two eternally stalwart protectors of women and children.
1. Although no doubt he owes you big bucks, what you need to do is get him to voluntarily hand you a single coin. The value of the coin may be as little as a penny. How you maneuver this is up to you.
2. Wrap a blue thread around the coin.
3. Drop the coin into a small, lidded glass jar and anoint it with essential oil of myrrh. Close your jar securely and keep it safe in a secret hiding place.
Whenever you receive a payment, feed the jar by adding a bit more myrrh.
* * *
turn around a bad investment
Is it beginning to feel like you've bought the Brooklyn Bridge? It sure seemed like a great deal at the time. But now it's a lead weight dragging you down and, unfortunately, it looks like you're stuck with it. Use magic to transform that investment.
Allspice, All Fortune
Allspice berries encourage financial prosperity through business ventures; their use is specifically indicated for poor investments. Vervain manipulates the wheel of fortune to turn in your favor.
1. Place a generous handful of dried vervain, three cinnamon sticks, and a tablespoon of whole allspice berries inside a clear jar.
2. Pour boiling water over the botanicals until they're covered.
3. When the infusion cools, strain out the plant material and add five drops each of the essential oils of patchouli and vetiver to the infusion.
4. Add most of the infusion to your bathwater. Also, put a small amount in a spray bottle and lightly spray anything related to your investment.
Investment Empowering Charm
1. Tie a tonka bean and a chunk of frankincense resin together with green thread.
2. Wrap them in yellow or gold cloth, rolling the cloth toward you.
3. Store the charm with papers or other items representing your investment.
* * *
increase business now
Trouble in the marketplace is a worst-case scenario that transcends time, place, and culture. Appropriately then, remedial spells abound, both ancient and modern.
Business In The Bag!
A particularly ancient spell, this one is derived from the Middle East.
1. Carefully collect dust from an anthill.
2. On a piece of fine-quality stationery—the type you'd use if your business was all that it should be—write your business goals as plainly and specifically as possible. Use the present tense. For instance, write "I sell 1,000 units every week." If a particular image symbolizes success for you, draw it. Fold the paper into a tight, small square.
3. Place the dust, the paper, and a small lodestone inside a small beaded bag and hang it where you conduct your business.
Better Business Floor Wash
Van Van Oil evokes passionate responses from practitioners. Dependable and fragrant, powerful and versatile, Van Van Oil allegedly turns poor luck into the best, and poor investments into sources of pride and prosperity.
1. Add Mrs. Stewart's Bluing, Van Van Oil, vinegar, ground cinnamon, and Florida Water to a bucket of water. (See pages 20 and 21 for Van Van Oil and Florida Water recipes.)
2. Wash the floor of your place of business with this mixture. Pretend that you are a customer entering the premises: Start washing at the business's entrance.
3. Then, move on to the interior. Wash each of the four corners first, then work toward the center of the room. Continue until all areas have been cleansed in this fashion.
* * *
get a job
You're not trying to be unemployed! You'd love to work. Why is finding work such a challenge?
The Nine-Day Employment Search
This spell is reputed to work within nine days, but for maximum effectiveness, you must simultaneously look for work intensively.
1. Tie a cinnamon stick and a High John the Conqueror root together with either green or gold thread.
2. Anoint the botanicals with Three Kings Oil (frankincense, myrrh, and spikenard) and then place them in a red-flannel drawstring bag.
3. Every morning before you go out to search for work, feed your botanical charm a little Three Kings Oil.
If your situation remains unchanged after nine business days, it's time to reassess your plans and explore alternatives.
Excerpted from magic when you need it by Judika Illes. Copyright © 2002 Judika Illes. Excerpted by permission of Red Wheel/Weiser, LLC.
All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.
Excerpts are provided by Dial-A-Book Inc. solely for the personal use of visitors to this web site.