- Allyn & Bacon, Inc.
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 7.09(w) x 9.45(h) x (d)
Table of Contents
* Asterisk indicates articles new to this edition.
I. INTRODUCTION: DEFINITIONS AND PERSPECTIVES.
1. Race, Caste, and Other Invidious Distinctions in Social Stratification, Gerald D. Berreman.
2. *Constructing Ethnicity: Creating and Recreating Ethnic Identity and Culture, Joane Nagel.
3. *Dominant Group Ethnic Identity in the United States: The Role of 'Hidden' Ethnicity in Intergroup Relations, Ashley W. Doane, Jr.
II. HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVES.
4. *Postethnic America, David A. Hollinger.
5. *The First Americans: American Indians, C. Matthew Snipp.
6. *In between Peoples: Race, Nationality, and the "New Immigrant" Working Class, James Barrett and David Roediger.
7. The Declining Significance of Race, William Julius Wilson.
8. *Land, Labor, and Group Formation: Blacks and Indians in the United States, Stephen Cornell.
9. *The Construction of the Ghetto, Douglas S. Massey and Nancy A. Denton.
10. *The Structuring of Hispanic Ethnicity: Theoretical and Historical Considerations, Frank D. Bean and Marta Tienda.
11. *Asian Pacific Americans: Historical Trends, Don Mar and Marlene Kim.
III. MODELS OF ETHNIC INTEGRATION IN THE UNITED STATES.
12. Assimilation in American Life, Milton M. Gordon.
13. *Revisiting Assimilation: The Rise, Fall, and Reappraisal of a Concept in American Ethnic History, Russell A. Kazal.
14. *Immigration and Ethnic and Racial Inequality in the United States, Mary C. Waters and Karl Eschbach.
15. *Assimilation's Quiet Tide, Richard D. Alba.
16. Immigrant and Ethnic Enterprise in North America, Ivan Light.
17. *The New Second Generation: Segmented Assimilation and Its Variants, Alejandro Portes and Min Zhou.
18. *Minority Status and Literacy in Comparative Perspective, John U. Ogbu.
19. *Work, William Julius Wilson.
20. *The Continuing Significance of Race: Anti-Black Discrimination in Public Places, Joe R. Feagin.
21. *The Racial Ghetto as a Race-Making Situation: The Effects of Residential Segregation on Racial Inequalities and Racial Identity, David R. James.
22. Symbolic Ethnicity: The Future of Ethnic Groups and Cultures in America, Herbert J. Gans.
IV. THE AMERICAN PEOPLE AND THE FUTURE OF ETHNICITY.
23. *The New Immigration and Ethnicity in the United States, Douglas S. Massey.
24. *America's Immigration "Problem", Saskia Sassen.
25. *Gendered Immigration, Pierrette Hondagneu-Sotelo.
26. *Mexican Migration and the Social Space of Postmodernism, Roger Rouse.
27. *The New Urban Reality, Roger Waldinger.
List of Contributors.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >