- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
You will find answers to some of the most common questions about public speaking as well as advice on overcoming its anxieties. Whether the forum is a PTA meeting or a large professional function, essays explore topics such as:
• Why even practiced speakers sometimes experience stage fright
* How to keep your audience awake and interested in what you are saying
You will learn essential skills for interacting in the workplace, including:
* How to negotiate a good deal and still be honest and straight
* How to keep team projects from falling apart
* How to conduct yourself in confrontational situations, such as receiving a public insult
Drawing on examples set by public figures, including Bill Clinton, Rudy Giuliani, Mario Cuomo, Martha Stewart, Jack Welch, Joe Torre, and many others, Adubato addresses the unique communication challenges that those in leadership positions face. Essays examine:
* What ordinary people can learn from leaders in high-profile positions
* Why so many leaders have difficulty taking responsibility and apologizing for their actions
As technology continues to provide opportunities for quicker and more visual communication,Adubato also lets you know when hi-tech bells and whistles get in the way of making a more personal and human connection. For instance,
* Why do we hide behind email messages when we have something very difficult to say?
* How does communication deteriorate when cell phones, faxes, and e-mail are all competing for our attention?
Finally, Adubato reminds us that communicating at home is no less important or any less difficult than communicating in public or at work. From contemporary challenges to age-old questions, essays explore:
* How you can more effectively talk with your kids about war and terrorism
* What forms of persuasion are more effective than nagging
Filled with timely examples and practical suggestions, Make the Connection is a must-read for everyone looking to improve their professional and personal relationships.