- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
Making Sense is a combined developmental English book integrating reading and writing instruction in every chapter. Integrated instruction in developmental reading and writing makes the book perfect for those interested in developing both reading and writing skills. Multicultural selections are included throughout the book. Emphasis on metacognition helps the reader understand how to learn and apply their learning style to other courses for success. Chapters 1-9 are organized by theme (memory, intelligence, stress, etc.) that connects reading/writing skills and improves comprehension skills. Scaffolded instruction in vocabulary allows the reader to have a firm foundation as he moves on to more complex skills. Includes a mini-grammar handbook with exercises for reference. For those interested in developing their reading and writing skills at both the 10-12+ grade level and the essay level, respectively.
1. Making Sense: Your Job as a Reader and a Writer.
Chapter Theme: Learning to Learn.
I. PLANNING AND CONSTRUCTING MEANING.
2. Planning to Read and Write.
Chapter Theme: Memory.
3. Constructing Main Ideas when Reading and Writing Paragraphs.
Chapter Theme: Intelligence.
4. Reading and Writing Multi-Paragraph Passages and Essays.
Chapter Theme: Emotional Intelligence.
II. REVISING MEANING AS YOU READ AND AS YOU WRITE.
5. Revising Meaning through Supporting Details.
Chapter Theme: Stress.
6. Revising Meaning through Coherence.
Chapter Theme: Diet and Nutrition.
7. Making Sense with Text Patterns.
Chapter Theme: Sports and Physical Fitness.
III. FURTHER REFINING OF MEANING THROUGH CRITICAL THINKING.
8. Making Sense by Understanding Audience, Purpose, Point of View and Tone.
Chapter Theme: Living in a Diverse Community.
9. Making Sense with Facts, Inferences, and Opinions.
Chapter Theme: Making Choices in a Diverse Community.
IV. A BASIC GUIDE TO GRAMMAR AND MECHANICS.