Managing Community Colleges: A Handbook for Effective Practice / Edition 1by Arthur M. Cohen, Florence B. Brawer
This comprehensive examination of the administrative environment of community colleges provides practical advice for making the institutions function more effectively. In twenty-five original chapters, experts from every area of community college administration discuss key theories and concepts, specific programs and services, and illustrative personal experiences -… See more details below
This comprehensive examination of the administrative environment of community colleges provides practical advice for making the institutions function more effectively. In twenty-five original chapters, experts from every area of community college administration discuss key theories and concepts, specific programs and services, and illustrative personal experiences - providing both incumbent and aspiring administrators with new ideas and proactive approaches to the task of management in community colleges. The first part of the book examines theories of leadership and organizational culture and takes a look at the relationships between the administration and the governing board and between the college and the state. In the second part, the authors detail the operations of various administrative units: the president's office; business and finances; personnel; instruction; transfer and articulation; extramural affairs; student services; institutional research; and campus planning. The third part is devoted to basic managerial functions, with chapters covering staff recruitment and evaluation, goal design and assessment, and staff performance appraisal.
Table of Contents
Part One: Leadership and Organization.
1. The Challenging Environment: Context, Concepts, and Crises (Arthur M. Cohen, Florence B. Brawer).
2. Understanding Administrative Work (Estela Mara Bensimon).
3. Leadership Strategies (Richard C. Richardson, Jr., Mimi Wolverton).
4. Effective Presidential Leadership: Twelve Areas of Focus (George B. Vaughan).
5. The Governing Board (William E. Piland).
6. The Community College and the State (James D. Tschechtelin).
7. How Presidents Influence Public Policy (Judith S. Eaton).
8. Management Perspectives at the State Level (Earl Hale).
Part Two: Administrative Areas.
9. The President's Office (Daniel F. Moriarty).
10. Business and Financial Administration (Albert L. Lorenzo).
11. The Personnel Office (Barbara E. Janzen).
12. Instructional Programs (Martha J. Kanter).
13. Articulation and Transfer (Trudy H. Bers).
14. Community and Industry Programs (Geneva Waddell).
15. Student Services (Charles R. Dassance).
16. Institutional Research (John Losak).
17. Campus Planning and Construction (Dan Angel, James Brader).
Part Three: Roles and Responsibilities.
18. Budgeting and Resource Allocation (Michael H. Parsons).
19. The Administrator's Role in Staff Management (Edwin E. Vineyard).
20. Faculty Evaluation and Performance Appraisal (Albert B. Smith, Jacquelyn A. Barber).
21. Involving the Board in Personnel Management (Hans A. Andrews).
22. Managing Educational Operations (Alfredo G. de los Santos, Jr., Scott Finger).
23. Building Relationships with the Community (Billie Wright Dziech).
24. Educational Planning and Assessment (James C. Palmer).
25. Conclusion: The Future Context for Administration (Arthur M. Cohen, Florence B. Brawer).
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >