- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
Tourette syndrome (TS) is a chronic, neurobehavioral disorder of childhood that has traditionally been treated with medication. Although available, many mental health professionals are not familiar with an effective behavioral therapy for tic disorders.
This therapist guide outlines a safe and scientifically proven treatment that can help sufferers of TS and other tic disorders effectively manage their tics and improve their quality of life. The treatment described is an 11-session package for children and adults (ages 9 and older). Psychoeducation about tic disorders is blended with multiple components of behavior therapy, including habit reversal training (HRT), relaxation training, and function-based treatments. The primary goal of this program is to teach the patient effective tic management skills rather than to cure the tic disorder.
At the start of the program, you will work with your patient to create a hierarchy of tics to be addressed in treatment. Each week, a new tic will be targeted and an appropriate function-based intervention implemented. Tic management skills are supplemented with relaxed breathing and progressive muscle relaxation exercises to help the patient combat anxiety. Relapse prevention and booster sessions help reinforce the skills taught in therapy and give the patient a positive outlook for the future.
Complete with step-by-step instructions for conducting sessions, as well as lists of materials needed and copies of necessary forms, this guide provides you with all the information you need to effectively administer treatment.
TreatmentsThatWorkTM represents the gold standard of behavioral healthcare interventions!
· All programs have been rigorously tested in clinical trials and are backed by years of research
· A prestigious scientific advisory board, led by series Editor-In-Chief David H. Barlow, reviews and evaluates each intervention to ensure that it meets the highest standard of evidence so you can be confident that you are using the most effective treatment available to date
· Our books are reliable and effective and make it easy for you to provide your clients with the best care available
· Our corresponding workbooks contain psychoeducational information, forms and worksheets, and homework assignments to keep clients engaged and motivated
· A companion website (www.oup.com/us/ttw) offers downloadable clinical tools and helpful resources
· Continuing Education (CE) Credits are now available on select titles in collaboration with PsychoEducational Resources, Inc. (PER)
Ch. 1 Introductory Information for Therapists 1
Ch. 2 Assessment Strategies for Tourette Syndrome 19
Ch. 3 Function-Based Intervention 27
Ch. 4 Habit Reversal Training 39
Ch. 5 Session 1 55
Ch. 6 Session 2 71
Ch. 7 Session 3 77
Ch. 8 Session 4 83
Ch. 9 Session 5 89
Ch. 10 Session 6 97
Ch. 11 Session 7 103
Ch. 12 Session 8 109
Ch. 13 Booster Sessions 115
Appendix of Resources 119
About the Authors 129