Managing Your Mind: The Mental Fitness Guide / Edition 2by Gillian Butler, Tony Hope
Pub. Date: 03/08/2007
Publisher: Oxford University Press
Integrating techniques of management with those of psychology, mixing feeling with action and work with play, this book is both an invitation to enjoy life to its fullest and a guide for achieving such enjoyment. Butler and Hope present practical ways of improving relationships, mood, health, and work, while at the same time showing ways to build self-confidence, overcome anxiety and depression, and more. 9 illustrations.
- Oxford University Press
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 5.40(w) x 8.20(h) x 1.50(d)
Table of Contents
1. What to Expect from this Guide
2. The Scientific Background
Part One: Two Principles of Underlying Mental Fitness.
3. Valuing Yourself
4. Recognizing That You Can Change
Part Two: The Seven Basic Skills.
5. Managing Yourself and Your Time
6. Facing the Problem
7. Treating Yourself Right
8. Problem-Solving: A Strategy for Change
9. Keeping Things in Perspective: Help from Cognitive Therapy
10. Building Self-Confidence and Self-Esteem
11. Learning to Relax
Part Three: How to Improve Your Relationships.
12. The Importance of Relationships
13. The First Key to Good Relationships: Being Fair to Yourself and Others
14. The Second Key to Good Relationships: Recognizing Voices from the Past
15. The Third Key to Good Relationships: Relationships as Systems
16. Anger in Relationships (new)
17. Sexuality and Intimate Relationships (new)
Part Four: The Twin Enemies of Good Mood Anxiety.
18. Getting the Better of Anxiety and Worry, or Defeating the Alarmist
19. Overcoming Fears and Phobias
20. Stress: How to Live with the Right Amount of It
21. Dealing with Panic: Controlling the Alarm System
22. Depression-The Common Cold of the Mind
23. Digging Yourself Out of Depression
24. How to Become Less Vulnerable to Depression
Part Five: Traumatic Experience (all new chapters).
25. Loss and Bereavement
26. Dealing with the Past
27. Recent Traumatic Events and Their After
Part Six: Mind and Body.
28. Breaking Habits and Stopping Smoking
29. Averting Problems with Alcohol
30. Overcoming Sleep Problems
31. Good Eating Habits
Part Seven: The Working Mind.
32. The Fundamentals of Effective Study
33. Key Study Skills: Reading, Taking Notes, and Using the Material
34. How to Improve Your Memory: Part 1. The Palest Ink and Other External Memory Aids
35. How to Improve Your Memory: Part 2. Internal Memory Aids
36. Making Decisions
37. Thinking Straight
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >