Manual of Emergency Care / Edition 5by Susan Budassi Sheehy, Gail P. Lenehan
Pub. Date: 08/01/1998
Publisher: Elsevier Health Sciences
An excellent, comprehensive clinical reference thoughtfully revised to address new challenges facing emergency nurses, emergency medical technicians and paramedics. MANUAL OF EMERGENCY CARE details the basic principles of emergency care; includes up-to-the-minute advances in emergency care, medical, trauma, and special case emergencies; contains four entirely new… See more details below
An excellent, comprehensive clinical reference thoughtfully revised to address new challenges facing emergency nurses, emergency medical technicians and paramedics. MANUAL OF EMERGENCY CARE details the basic principles of emergency care; includes up-to-the-minute advances in emergency care, medical, trauma, and special case emergencies; contains four entirely new chapters devoted to patient education, allergies, forensic nursing and legal issues; and offers thoroughly revised, more detailed chapters on sexual assault, wound care, and domestic violence.
* Includes complete, up-to-date and practical information for clinical practitioners and nursing students.
• Presents a team approach to problem solving, reflecting actual practices in emergency departments.
• Covers assessment parameters, diagnostic tests, therapeutic interventions and other information pertinent to disorders and conditions NEW TO THIS EDITION:
• Includes new chapter on forensic nursing thoroughly explaining the role of forensic nurses and the collection of forensic data.
• Offers a new chapter on patient and family education, stressing the growing importance of providing supports to help patients and their families continue recovery once they leave emergency care.
• Presents basic legal issues for emergency nurses in a new chapter addressing hot legal topics including legal consent, proper treatment of psychiatric patients, appropriate handling of forensic issues, and terms of the Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA).
• Provides a new chapter on allergies with detailed descriptions of reactions and the associated signs and symptoms, interventions, diagnostic tests, latex allergies, and patient education and support.
• Contains an updated, extensively detailed chapter on sexual assault listing proper procedures for collecting, securing and transferring evidence, following up, documenting the assault and testifying in court, all in a bulleted, easy-to-follow format.
• Offers newly revised wound management chapter with more detailed definitions and descriptions of wounds and wound care.
• Includes separate chapters on intravenous therapy and laboratory specimens.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 7.51(w) x 9.13(h) x 1.05(d)
Table of Contents
PART ONE Basic Principles of Emergency Care · Communicating in Crisis · Patient Assessment, Reporting and Documentation · Patient and Family Education · Basic Life Support · Advanced Life Support · Intravenous Therapy · Laboratory Specimens · Basic Legal Issues for Emergency Nurses · Shock and Hemodynamic Monitoring · PART TWO Medical Emergencies · Cardiac Emergencies · Pulmonary Emergencies · Neurologic Emergencies · Abdominal Pain · Blood Disorders · Metabolic Emergencies · Toxicologic Emergencies · Environmental Emergencies · Genitourinary Emergencies · Infectious Diseases · Allergies · PART THREE Trauma Emergencies · Wound Management · Head Trauma · Spinal Cord and Neck Trauma · Facial Trauma · Eye, Ear, Nose, Throat and Dental Emergencies · Chest Trauma · Abdominal Trauma · Musculoskeletal Trauma · Multi-Trauma · Burns · PART FOUR Other Emergencies · Sexual Assault · Domestic Violence · Obstetric and Gynecologic Emergencies · Pediatric Medical Emergencies · Pediatric Trauma · Child Abuse and Neglect
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >