Manual of Medical-Surgical Nursing Care: Nursing Interventions and Collaborative Management / Edition 5by Pamela L. Swearingen
Pub. Date: 09/20/2002
Publisher: Elsevier Health Sciences
This thorough, portable, and clinically focused reference offers quick, easy access to essential information for the care of the medical-surgical patient. Content is organized by body system and provides a quick review of pathophysiology, physical assessment, diagnostic testing, collaborative management, and patient/family teaching and discharge planning data for each… See more details below
This thorough, portable, and clinically focused reference offers quick, easy access to essential information for the care of the medical-surgical patient. Content is organized by body system and provides a quick review of pathophysiology, physical assessment, diagnostic testing, collaborative management, and patient/family teaching and discharge planning data for each disorder. The presentation for each condition provides a hierarchy of data that assists in making nursing diagnoses and planning interventions specific to each patient.
- A consistent, easy-to-use format enhances the quick-reference feature of this book. Standard headings for each disorder include Assessment, Diagnostic Tests, Collaborative Management, Nursing Diagnoses and Interventions, and Patient-Family Teaching and Discharge Planning.
- The attractive and functional two-color design highlights key information for quick, easy reference.
- Expert contributors from various practice settings provide the most current and accurate information.
- Highlighted cautions throughout stress key points related to various disorders and conditions.
- Outcome criteria are included with timeframes, where appropriate, to facilitate the evaluation of care and to help users set more realistic goals for nursing outcomes.
- A variety of information resources provide additional information and patient teaching services - including websites, when available.
- General information that is relevant to many disorders is highlighted - including perioperative care, pain, cancer care, psychosocial support for patients/family/significant others, and end-of-life care.
- Information is summarized in tables and boxes, where appropriate, to enhance clinical usefulness.
- The most recent NANDA Taxonomy II nursing diagnoses are included for each disorder.
- Sections on Pain and End-of-Life Care are now included to highlight these important topics in patient care.
- The newest infection prevention and control guidelines recently issued by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) are included in the appendix and incorporated throughout the manual.
- Cancer content has been consolidated to provide a quick and thorough reference.
- Expanded coverage of endocrine, gastrointestinal, hepatic, and musculoskeletal disorders includes new discussions of Hyperthyroidism, Hypothyroidism, Hyperparathyroidism, Hypoparathyroidism, Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease, Cholangitis, and Rotator Cuff Repair.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 5.32(w) x 8.72(h) x 1.33(d)
Table of ContentsChapter 1: General Concepts in
Chapter 2: Respiratory Disorders
Section One: Acute Respiratory Disorders
Section Two: Acute Respiratory Failure
Section Three: Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
Section Four: Restrictive Pulmonary Disorder
Chapter 3: Cardiovascular Disorders
Section One: Degenerative Cardiovascular Disorders
Section Two: Inflammatory Heart Disorders
Section Three: Valvular Heart Disorders
Section Four: Cardiovascular Conditions Secondary to Other Disease Processes
Section Five: Special Cardiac Procedures
Section Six: Disorders of the Peripheral Vascular System
Chapter 4: Renal-Urinary Disorders
Section One: Renal Disorders
Section Two: Renal Failure
Section Three: Renal Dialysis
Section Four: Care of the Renal Transplant Recipient
Section Five: Disorders of the Urinary Tract
Section Six: Urinary Disorders Secondary to Other Disease Processes
Section Seven: Urinary Diversions
Chapter 5: Neurologic Disorders
Section One: Inflammatory Disorders of the Nervous System
Section Two: Degenerative Disorders of the Nervous System
Section Three: Traumatic Disorders of the Nervous System
Section Four: Vascular Disorders of the Nervous System
Section Five: Seizure Disorders
Section Six: General Care of Patients with Neurologic Disorders
Chapter 6: Endocrine Disorders
Section One: Disorders of the Thyroid Gland
Section Two: Disorders of the Parathyroid Glands
Section Three: Disorders of the Adrenal Glands
Section Four: Disorders of the Pituitary Gland
Section Five: Diabetes Mellitus
Chapter 7: Gastrointestinal Disorders
Section One: Disorders of the Mouth and Esophagus
Section Two: Disorders of the Stomach and Intestines
Section Three: Intestinal Inflammatory Processes
Section Four: Abdominal Trauma
Section Five: Hepatic and Biliary Disorders
Section Six: Pancreatititis
Chapter 8: Hematologic Disorders
Section One: Disorders of the Red Blood Cells
Section Two: Disorders of Coagulation
Chapter 9: Musculoskeletal Disorders
Section One: Arthritic Disorders
Section Two: Muscular and Connective Tissue Disorders
Section Three: Skeletal Disorders
Section Four: Musculoskeletal Surgical Procedures
Chapter 10: Reproductive Disorders
Section One: Gynecologic Disorders
Section Two: Ectopic Pregnancy
Section Three: Benign Prostatic Hypertrophy
Chapter 11: Providing Care for Patients with Special Needs
Section One: Caring For Individuals with Human Immunodeficiency Virus Disease
Section Two: Providing Nutritional Support
Section Three: Managing Wound Care
Appendix One: Infection Prevention and Control
Appendix Two: Heart and Breath Sounds
Appendix Three: Laboratory Tests Discussed in this Manual: Normal Values
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >