Manual of Medical-Surgical Nursing Care: Nursing Interventions and Collaborative Management / Edition 5by Pamela L. Swearingen
Pub. Date: 09/20/2002
Publisher: Elsevier Health Sciences
This thorough, portable, and clinically-focused reference offers quick, easy access to clinical information for the care of the medical-surgical patient. Content is organized by body system and provides a quick review of pathophysiology, physical assessment, diagnostic testing, collaborative management, and patient/family teaching and discharge planning data for each… See more details below
This thorough, portable, and clinically-focused reference offers quick, easy access to clinical information for the care of the medical-surgical patient. Content is organized by body system and provides a quick review of pathophysiology, physical assessment, diagnostic testing, collaborative management, and patient/family teaching and discharge planning data for each disorder. The presentation for each condition provides a hierarchy of data that assists in making nursing diagnoses and planning interventions specific to each patient.
New to this Edition:
- The most recent NANDA Taxonomy II nursing diagnoses are included for each disorder.
- Sections on Pain and End-of-Life Care are now included to highlight these important topics in patient care.
- The newest infection prevention and control guidelines recently issued by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) are included in the appendix and incorporated throughout the manual.
- Cancer content has been consolidated to provide a quick and thorough reference.
- Expanded coverage of endocrine, gastrointestinal, hepatic, and musculoskeletal disorders includes new discussions of Hyperthyroidism, Hypothyroidism, Hyperparathyroidism, Hypoparathyroidism, Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease, Cholangitis, and Rotator Cuff Repair.
- A consistent, easy-to-use format enhances the quick-reference feature of this book. Standard headings for each disorder include Assessment, Diagnostic Tests, Collaborative Management, Nursing Diagnoses and Interventions, and Patient-Family Teaching and Discharge Planning.
- The attractive and functional two-color design highlights key information for quick, easy reference.
- Expert contributors from various practice settings provide the most current and accurate information.
- Highlighted cautions throughout stress key points related to various disorders and conditions.
- Outcome criteria are included with timeframes, where appropriate, to facilitate the evaluation of care and to help users set more realistic goals for nursing outcomes.
- A variety of information resources provide additional information and patient teaching services — including websites, when available.
- General information that is relevant to many disorders is highlighted — including perioperative care, pain, cancer care, psychosocial support for patients/family/significant others, and end-of-life care.
- Information is summarized in tables and boxes, where appropriate, to enhance clinical usefulness.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 5.32(w) x 8.72(h) x 1.33(d)
Table of Contents
|1||General Concepts in Caring for Medical-Surgical Patients||1|
|Sect. 1||Perioperative Care||1|
|Sect. 3||Prolonged Bedrest||23|
|Sect. 4||Cancer Care||31|
|Sect. 5||Psychosocial Support||61|
|Sect. 6||Psychosocial Support for the Patient's Family and Significant Others||71|
|Sect. 7||Older Adult Care||75|
|Sect. 8||End-of-Life Care||84|
|Sect. 1||Acute Respiratory Disorders||99|
|Sect. 2||Acute Respiratory Failure||124|
|Sect. 3||Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease||127|
|Sect. 4||Restrictive Pulmonary Disorder||137|
|Sect. 1||Degenerative Cardiovascular Disorders||142|
|Sect. 2||Inflammatory Heart Disorders||167|
|Sect. 3||Valvular Heart Disorders||173|
|Sect. 4||Cardiovascular Conditions Secondary to Other Disease Processes||181|
|Sect. 5||Special Cardiac Procedures||194|
|Sect. 6||Disorders of the Peripheral Vascular System||203|
|Sect. 1||Renal Disorders||217|
|Sect. 2||Renal Failure||229|
|Sect. 3||Renal Dialysis||240|
|Sect. 4||Care of the Renal Transplant Recipient||246|
|Sect. 5||Disorders of the Urinary Tract||249|
|Sect. 6||Urinary Disorders Secondary to Other Disease Processes||257|
|Sect. 7||Urinary Diversions||272|
|Sect. 1||Inflammatory Disorders of the Nervous System||281|
|Sect. 2||Degenerative Disorders of the Nervous System||300|
|Sect. 3||Traumatic Disorders of the Nervous System||324|
|Sect. 4||Vascular Disorders of the Nervous System||362|
|Sect. 5||Seizure Disorders||381|
|Sect. 6||General Care of Patients with Neurologic Disorders||394|
|Sect. 1||Disorders of the Thyroid Gland||416|
|Sect. 2||Disorders of the Parathyroid Glands||426|
|Sect. 3||Disorders of the Adrenal Glands||434|
|Sect. 4||Disorders of the Pituitary Gland||443|
|Sect. 5||Diabetes Mellitus||450|
|Sect. 1||Disorders of the Mouth and Esophagus||478|
|Sect. 2||Disorders of the Stomach and Intestines||485|
|Sect. 3||Intestinal Inflammatory Processes||508|
|Sect. 4||Abdominal Trauma||536|
|Sect. 5||Hepatic and Biliary Disorders||547|
|Sect. 1||Disorders of the Red Blood Cells||579|
|Sect. 2||Disorders of Coagulation||593|
|Sect. 1||Arthritic Disorders||606|
|Sect. 2||Muscular and Connective Tissue Disorders||616|
|Sect. 3||Skeletal Disorders||626|
|Sect. 4||Musculoskeletal Surgical Procedures||642|
|Sect. 1||Gynecologic Disorders||658|
|Sect. 2||Ectopic Pregnancy||665|
|Sect. 3||Benign Prostatic Hypertrophy||667|
|11||Providing Care for Patients with Special Needs||676|
|Sect. 1||Caring for Patients with Human Immunodeficiency Virus Disease||676|
|Sect. 2||Providing Nutritional Support||689|
|Sect. 3||Managing Wound Care||707|
|App. 1||Infection Prevention and Control||716|
|App. 2||Laboratory Tests Discussed in this Manual: Normal Values||727|
|App. 3||Heart and Breath Sounds||732|
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >