Manual of Psychiatric Nursing Care Planning: Assessment Guides, Diagnoses, Psychopharmacology / Edition 4by Elizabeth M. Varcarolis
Pub. Date: 02/22/2010
Publisher: Elsevier Health Sciences
A pocket-sized clinical companion, Manual of Psychiatric Nursing Care Planning, 4th Edition helps you assess psychiatric nursing clients, formulate nursing diagnoses, and design psychiatric nursing care plans. It offers quick and easy access to information on care in a range of settings including the inpatient unit, home care, or community mental health/b>… See more details below
A pocket-sized clinical companion, Manual of Psychiatric Nursing Care Planning, 4th Edition helps you assess psychiatric nursing clients, formulate nursing diagnoses, and design psychiatric nursing care plans. It offers quick and easy access to information on care in a range of settings including the inpatient unit, home care, or community mental health setting. Expert author Elizabeth M. Varcarolis, RN, MA, provides a clinically based focus with the latest guidelines to psychiatric nursing care. Designed to accompany Foundations of Mental Health Nursing, this book is a perfect reference for creating care plans and for clinical use.
• Current coverage includes the latest diagnoses, assessment and treatment strategies, and psychotropic drug information relevant to nursing care of patients with psychiatric disorders.
• Clinically based information helps you provide patient care in a range of environments including the inpatient unit, community mental health setting, or home care setting.
• Coverage of all major disorders includes those commonly encountered in a clinical setting.
• A consistent format for each care plan includes a nursing diagnosis, etiology, assessment findings/diagnostic cues, outcome criteria, long-term goals, short-term goals, and interventions and rationales.
• Assessment tools such as tables, charts, and questionnaires are provided in an appendix for quick reference.
• A Major Psychotropic Interventions and Client and Family Teaching chapter describes the uses and workings of psychotropic agents.
• The latest diagnostic information includes the DSM-IV-TR taxonomy with diagnostic criteria for mental disorders, to enable accurate assessment and diagnosis of patients.
• Current psychiatric nursing guidelines are based on ANA's 2007 Psychiatric Mental-Health Nursing: Scope and Standards of Practice.
• Updated 2009-2011 NANDA-I nursing diagnoses assist with accurate diagnoses by including the latest nursing diagnoses related to psychiatric nursing.
• Updated drug information includes the latest on medications used with psychiatric patients, for optimal drug therapy.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 4.30(w) x 7.30(h) x 1.10(d)
Table of Contents
Part I: Guidelines for Planning Psychiatric Nursing Care
1. The Nursing Process and Assessment Tools for Psychiatric Nursing
2. Maximizing Communication Skills
3. Guidelines for the Nurse Conducting a Clinical Interview
Part II: Diagnosis and Care Planning
4. Selected Disorders of Childhood and Adolescence
5. Anxiety and Anxiety Disorders
6. Depressive Disorders
7. Bipolar Disorders
8. Schizophrenia and Other Psychotic Disorders
9. Personality Disorders
11. Eating Disorders
12. Cognitive Disorders: Delirium and Dementia
Part III: Psychiatric Emergencies and Forensic Issues
13. Crisis Intervention and Rehabilitation
14. Family Violence
15. Sexual Assault
16. Suicide Behaviors
17. Anger and Aggression
18. Grieving and Complicated Grieving
Part IV: Challenging Behaviors
19. Manipulative Behaviors
20. Noncompliance (Nonadherence) to Medication or Treatment
Part V: Psychopharmacology
21. Major Psychotropic Interventions and Patient and Family Teaching
Appendix A References
Appendix B Classification and Full Assessment
Appendix C Assessment Tools for Children and Adolescents
Appendix D Assessment Guides
Appendix E Abnormal Involuntary Movement Scale (AIMS)
Appendix F Nursing Care in Electroconvulsive Therapy
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >