Manual of Surgical Pathology: Expert Consult - Online and Print / Edition 3by Susan C. Lester
Pub. Date: 08/06/2010
Publisher: Elsevier Health Sciences
Dr. Lester’s Manual of Surgical Pathology, 3rd Edition offers complete, practical guidance on the evaluation of the surgical pathology specimen, from its arrival in the department to preparation of the final report. Inside, you’ll find step-by-step instructions on specimen processing, tissue handling, gross dissection technique, histological examination… See more details below
Dr. Lester’s Manual of Surgical Pathology, 3rd Edition offers complete, practical guidance on the evaluation of the surgical pathology specimen, from its arrival in the department to preparation of the final report. Inside, you’ll find step-by-step instructions on specimen processing, tissue handling, gross dissection technique, histological examination, application of special stains, development of a differential diagnosis, and more. This thoroughly revised New Edition integrates cutting-edge procedures well as the latest staging and classification information. Coverage of the latest standards and procedures for the laboratory and handling of surgical pathology specimens are valuable assets to pathologists, pathology assistants, and anyone working in a pathology laboratory. Plus, with Expert Consult functionality, you’ll have easy access to the full text online as well as all of the book’s illustrations and links to Medline.
• Features more than 150 tables that examine the interpretation of histochemical stains, immunohistochemical studies, electron microscopy findings, cytogenetic changes, and much more.
• Presents a user-friendly design, concise paragraphs, numbered lists, and bulleted material throughout the text that makes information easy to find.
• Offers detailed instructions on the dissection, description, and sampling of specimens.
• Includes useful guidance on operating room consultations, safety, microscope use, and error prevention.
• Explains the application of pathology reports to patient management.
• Discusses how to avoid frequent errors and pitfalls in pathology specimen processing.
• Comes with access to expertconsult.com where you’ll find the fully searchable text and all of the book’s illustrations.
• Includes all updates from the last three revisions of the Brigham & Women's Hospital in-house handbook, ensuring you have the best knowledge available.
• Features new and updated tables in special studies sections, particularly immunohistochemistry with an increased number of antibodies covered, keeping you absolutely up to date.
• Provides new tables that cover the histologic appearance of viruses and fungi and a table covering the optical properties of commonly seen noncellular material for easy reference.
• Incorporates the TNM classification systems from the new 7th edition AJCC manual, including additional guidelines for the assessment of critical pathologic features.
• Presents four new full size illustrations by Dr. Christopher French and Mr. Shogun G. Curtis, as well as 39 illustrations for the new tables on viruses, fungi, and noncellular material to aid in their recognition.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 8.40(w) x 10.80(h) x 0.90(d)
Table of Contents
|1||Requests for pathologic evaluation||3|
|2||Specimen processing : from gross specimens to tissue cassettes||11|
|3||The histology laboratory : from tissue cassette to glass slides||29|
|4||The surgical pathology report : from the glass slide to the final diagnosis||37|
|6||Operating room consultations||49|
|9||Microscopy and photography||179|
|10||Approaching perfection : avoiding errors in surgical pathology||193|
|12||Amputations and large resections||209|
|14||Bone and joints||221|
|19||Gastrointestinal specimens (including hepatobiliary and pancreatic specimens)||307|
|22||Gynecologic and perinatal pathology||419|
|23||Head and neck||477|
|26||Lung and pleura||497|
|27||Lymph nodes, spleen, and bone marrow||517|
|28||Medical devices and foreign material||531|
|32||Soft tissue tumors (sarcomas)||553|
|34||Thyroid and parathyroid glands||569|
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >