Manufacturing Yogurt and Fermented Milks / Edition 1by Ramesh C. Chandan
Pub. Date: 02/28/2006
Melding the hands-on experience of producing yogurt and fermented milks over four decades with the latest in scientific research in the dairy industry, editor Chandan and his associate editors have assembled experts worldwide to write Manufacturing Yogurt and Fermented Milks. This one-of-a-kind resource gives a complete description of the manufacturing stages of yogurt and fermented milks from the receipt of raw materials to the packaging of the products.
Information is conveniently grouped under four categories:
· Basic background—History and consumption trends, milk composition characteristics, dairy processing principles, regulatory requirements, laboratory analysis, starter cultures, packaging, and more
· Yogurt manufacture—Fruit preparations and flavoring materials, ingredients, processing principles, manufacture of various yogurt types, plant cleaning and sanitizing, quality assurance, and sensory analysis
· Manufacture of fermented milks—Procedure, packaging and other details for more than ten different types of products
· Health benefits—Functional foods, probiotics, disease prevention, and the health attributes of yogurt and fermented milks
All manufacturing processes are supported by sound scientific, technological, and engineering principles. Manufacturing Yogurt and Fermented Milks is designed for professionals in the dairy and food industry as well as for upper level undergraduate and graduate students majoring in Food Science, Dairy Technology and related fields. Industry professionals, professors, and students engaged in research in dairy/ food science will find the book’s contemporary information and experience-based applications invaluable.
- Publication date:
- Product dimensions:
- 7.20(w) x 10.30(h) x 0.90(d)
Table of ContentsContributors.
Part I Basic Background.
1. History and Consumption Trends. (Ramesh C. Chandan).
2. Milk Composition Physical and Processing Characteristics. (Ramesh C. Chandan).
3. Regulatory Requirements for Milk Production, Transportation, and Processing. (Cary P. Frye).
4. Regulations for Product Standards and Labeling. (Cary P. Frye).
5. Basic Dairy Processing Principles. (Arun Kilara).
6. Starter Cultures for Yogurt and Fermented Milks. (Ebenezer R. Vedamuthu).
7. Laboratory Analysis of Fermented Milks. (Robet T. Marshall).
8. Fermented Dairy Packaging Materials. (Aaron L. Brody).
Part II Manufacturing of Yogurt.
9. Yogurt: Fruit Preparations and Flavoring Materials. (Kevin R. O’Reill and Ramesh C. Chandan).
10. Milk and Milk-Based Dairy Ingredients. (Isabelle Sodini and Phillip S. Tong).
11. Ingredients for Yogurt Manufacture. (Ramesh C. Chandan and Kevin R. O’Rell).
12. Principles of Yogurt Processing. (Ramesh C. Chandan and Kevin R. O’Rell).
13. Manufacture of Various Types of Yogurt. (Ramesh C. Chandan and Kevin R. O’Rell).
14. Plant Cleaning and Sanitizing. ( Dennis Bogart).
15. Yogurt Plant: Quality Assurance. (Ramesh C. Chandan and Kevin R. O’Rell).
16. Sensory Analysis of Yogurt. (Yonca Karagul-Yuceer and MaryAnne Drake).
Part III Manufacture of Fermented Milks.
17. Cultured Buttermilk. (Charles H. White).
18. Cultured/Sour Cream. (Bill Born).
19. Other Fermented and Culture-Containing Milks. (Ebenezer R. Vedamuthu).
Part IV Health Benefits.
20. Functional Foods and Disease Prevention. (Ramesh C. Chandan and Kevin R. O’Rell).
21. Health Benefits of Yogurt and Fermented Milks. (Nagendra P. Shah).
22. Probiotics and Fermented Milks. Nagendra P. Shah).
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >