- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
This is the first part of a comprehensive two-volume treatise that describes and illustrates over 2,000 marine species, ranging from protozoans to fishes, native to the coastal waters of the British Isles and north-western Europe. The most complete account available of its kind, the books cover all benthic habitats, from the intertidal zone to a depth of approximately 30 meters. Each major animal group is covered, with information on the morphology, biology, ecology of representative species, and techniques for their collection and study. Estuarine and supralittoral faunas are also described. Identification is facilitated by dichotomous keys to families and then to genera and species. Short diagnostic accounts are given for each family and higher taxon, and descriptions of all species are followed by notes on their ecological and geographical distribution. Line drawings are also included to help clarify the material presented in the text.
1. Introduction, P.J. Hayward
2. Protozoa, F.T. Banner, E.W. Knight-Jones, and J.M. Wright
3. Porifera, P.E.J. Dryrynda and E.A. Dryrynda
4. Cnidaria, P.F.S. Cornelius, R.L. Manuel, and J.S. Ryland
5. Platyhelminthes and Memertea, R. Gibson and E.W. Knight-Jones
6. Annelida, A. Nelson-Smith, P. Knight Jones, and E.W. Knight-Jones
7. Sipuncula, Priapulida, Echiura, Pogonophora, and Entoprocta, E.W. Knight-Jones and J.S. Ryland
8. Crustacea I: Entomostraca, M.J. Issac and J. Moyse
9. Crustacea II: Malacostraca Peracida, M.J. Isaac, P. Makings, E. Naylor, G. Smaldon and R.G. Withers
10. Crustacea III: Malacostraca Eucarida, J. Moyse and G. Smaldon
11. Chelicerata, Uniramia, and Tardigrada, P. Elliot, et al.