Mastering Windows Server 2000, Fourth Edition / Edition 4by Brian M. Smith, Doug Toombs, Mark Minasi, Christa Anderson
Pub. Date: 03/22/2002
The #1 choice of Windows administrators, Mastering Windows 2000 Server gives you all the conceptual and practical information you need to get the most out of Microsoft's flagship network operating system. This is the premier resource for configuring, administering, and tuning Windows 2000
The ONLY Windows 2000 Resource You Need--Now With a New Emphasis on Security!
The #1 choice of Windows administrators, Mastering Windows 2000 Server gives you all the conceptual and practical information you need to get the most out of Microsoft's flagship network operating system. This is the premier resource for configuring, administering, and tuning Windows 2000 Server as part of a corporate enterprise network. You can depend on it for clear, authoritative instruction in hundreds of techniques that will make your work easier and your job more secure.
* Installing Windows 2000
* Configuring IP, DHCP, WINS, and DNS to achieve the right foundation for your network
* Building and managing domains with Active Directory
* Controlling hundreds, even thousands, of workstations with group policies
* Prebuilding and delivering complete workstation images with Remote Installation Services
* Deploying applications throughout the enterprise with Microsoft Installer
* Understanding advanced DNS design and troubleshooting to keep your domains secure and running
* Improving network resource accessibility with Dfs, Web folders, shared printers, and Web printing
* Using Windows 2000 to share Internet Connections
* Tuning and monitoring your network
* Securing your network with new coverage of IPSec, certificates, security templates, simplified hotfix installations, auditing, and more
* Offering Web content with Internet Information Services 5
Real Solutions to Real Challenges
If improving the real-world performance of your network is the bottom line, this book delivers the goods. It shows you how to design and manage a multiple-platform network, build a Windows-based intranet, find the right data backup strategy, prevent and recover from disasters, and much more. There's no end to what you'll accomplish with practical, step-by-step instruction from the expert who has actually done it all on live networks!
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Windows 2000 Server Overview.
Chapter 2: History: The Story So Far.
Chapter 3: The Windows 2000 Registry.
Chapter 4: Setting Up and Rolling Out Windows 2000.
Chapter 5: The Windows 2000 Server UI and MMC.
Chapter 6: Understanding and Using TCP/IP in Windows 2000 Server.
Chapter 7: Building a Windows 2000 TCP/IP Infrastructure: DHCP, WINS, and DNS.
Chapter 8: Understanding and Using Active Directory.
Chapter 9: Managing and Creating User Accounts.
Chapter 10: Managing Windows 2000 Storage.
Chapter 11: Creating and Managing Shared Folders.
Chapter 12: Software Installation.
Chapter 13: Configuring and Troubleshooting Network Print Services.
Chapter 14: Connecting Clients to Windows 2000 Server.
Chapter 15: Supporting Clients with Windows Terminal Services.
Chapter 16: Connecting Macintoshes to Windows 2000.
Chapter 17: Web, Mail, FTP, and Telnet Services in Windows 2000 Server.
Chapter 18: How Running a Big Windows 2000 Network Is Different.
Chapter 19: Integrating NetWare with Windows 2000 Server.
Chapter 20: Tuning and Monitoring Your Windows 2000 Network.
Chapter 21: Preparing for and Recovering from Server Failures.
Chapter 22: Installing and Managing Remote Access Service in Windows 2000 Server.
Chapter 23: Installing Hardware in Windows 2000.
Appendix: Performance Objects in Windows 2000.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >