A streamlined approach covers the fundamentals of maternity nursing! Maternity Nursing, 8th Edition focuses on the care of women during the childbearing years. Designed to meet the needs of today’s students, the book offers a clear, readable style and a concise, focused presentation. It integrates an understanding of family, culture, and health promotion into the continuum of care, and coverage of community-based care emphasizes nursing care in many different settings. Not only does Maternity Nursing focus on childbearing issues and concerns, including care of the newborn, but it also addresses wellness promotion and the management of common women’s health problems. The Evolve companion website includes useful study tools, including medical animations, video clips, a care plan builder, and NCLEX® exam-style review questions.
• A companion Evolve website includes student resources such as NCLEX® exam-style review questions, audio chapter summaries, a care plan builder, nursing skills, interactive case studies, video clips and animations, anatomy reviews, and an audio glossary with Spanish pronunciations.
• Unique! Nursing Alerts highlight critical information in providing care.
• Unique! Emergency boxes provide step-by-step procedures for pediatric and maternity emergencies.
• Unique! Cultural Considerations boxes discuss customs and beliefs of different cultures that may affect care for patients and families.
• Unique! Community Activity boxes provide maternal and newborn exercises to enhance care in local community settings.
• Unique! Nursing Process boxes identify information on major diseases and conditions.
• Patient Instructions for Self-Management boxes highlight the information nurses need to communicate to patients and families.
• Critical Thinking exercises are based on case studies of real-life situations.
• Coverage of nursing care management uses a framework of the five steps of the nursing process as well as a focus on collaborative care.
• Nursing care plans include specific guidelines and rationales for interventions.
• 21st Century Maternity Nursing: Culturally Competent, Family and Community Focusedchapter integrates content on the family and home care.
• A focus on the family recognizes the nurse’s need to integrate the family in the care of the mother and newborn, and the importance of the role of the mother to the well-being of the family.
• Updatedcontent includes information on the late preterm infant and associated concerns such as feeding; guidelines on prioritization and delegation; and centering pregnancy, a new model of health care that brings women together in care groups.
• Updated coverage of evidence-based practice includes current research in newly expanded, researched, and reformatted boxes.
• Streamlined content focuses your attention on the most essential, need-to-know information.
The book contains predominantly color illustrations, with some black-and-white illustrations.
How do we care for a woman of childbearing age in today's society? The answers are found in this book, one of the most comprehensive reproductive health books on the market today. It is a "must-have" for maternity nursing students, no matter the program they're enrolled in. This book not only addresses the fundamentals of maternity nursing, but integrates the importance of understanding family, culture, and health promotion into the continuum of care.
This fifth edition textbook features maternal/newborn nursing with numerous charts, illustrations, and special multi-colored text boxes for quick access of information, learning, and visual appeal. Other worthy features include a computer disk study guide and the availability of Mosby's Electronic Resource Links and Information Network. The purpose is to provide students with the knowledge and skills needed to become competent, think critically, and attain sensitivity as caring maternity nurses. It is written for nursing students in their beginning-level maternal/child theory and clinical courses. The well known editors have previously published in the area of obstetrical/newborn nursing with numerous other publications to their credit. Worthy features of this book include detailed colored illustrations and boxed features of concise pertinent information for memory retention. Case management is used as the organizing framework for the nursing care chapters. The addition of new chapters such as adaptation to parenthood, including family dynamics and community and home care, brings this latest edition to the current state-of-the-art. The table of contents, index, and glossary are user friendly and the references are current. This text concisely presents maternity nursing concepts and research for nursing students. Inclusion of colored illustrations, boxed critical content, and critical thinking exercises at the end of each chapter facilitates the use of the book while guiding nursing students in their initial maternal/child course. It retains the comprehensiveness of previous editions. This book is very appropriate for the presentation of current maternity nursing knowledge tonursing students in their beginning level experience.
Doody's Review Service
Reviewer: Kathleen R Simpson, PhD, RNC, FAAN (St. John's Mercy Medical Center) Description: This is the seventh edition of an excellent basic resource for nursing students who are studying care for women during pregnancy, labor, birth, and the postpartum period. Immediate care of the newborn also is included. The last edition was published in 2003. Purpose: The purpose is to prepare students to acquire the knowledge and skills they need to become competent, critically thinking, caring nurses. This popular text has been updated to include the latest evidence to support current maternity nursing care and certainly meets the objectives of the authors. Audience: The book is written at the level of the basic nursing student with easily understandable content, illustrations, and summaries of current research. Deitra Lowdermilk and Shannon Perry are recognized experts in maternity nursing and have consistently produced excellent resources for nursing students. Features: Pregnancy, labor, birth, postpartum, and newborn care are covered, as well as selected complications. Current and evolving evidence is highlighted. Content for patient teaching is prominently displayed. Critical thinking exercises are integrated into each chapter to guide students in applying their knowledge and using critical thinking to plan appropriate care for women and newborns. Assessment: This text has long been one of the most widely used for students of maternity nursing. As new evidence, standards, and guidelines have been published, a new edition was required. Both students and faculty will find this updated edition to be a valuable resource.
5 Stars! from Doody