Math Starters!: 5- To 10-Minute Activities That Make Kids Think, Grades 6-12by Judith A. Muschla, Gary Robert Muschla
Here is a super collection of over 650 ready-to-use math starters that get kids quickly focused and working on math as soon as they enter your classroom! Perfect for any math curriculum, these high-interest problems spark involvement in the day's lesson, help students build skills, and allow you to handle daily management tasks without wasting valuable instructional… See more details below
- Checkmark B&N@School >Shop Now Shop Now
Here is a super collection of over 650 ready-to-use math starters that get kids quickly focused and working on math as soon as they enter your classroom! Perfect for any math curriculum, these high-interest problems spark involvement in the day's lesson, help students build skills, and allow you to handle daily management tasks without wasting valuable instructional time.
For easy use all of the math-starter problems are printed in a big 8 ?" x 11" lay-flat format for photocopying and organized in two parts:
Part I, "Making Math Starters a Part of Your Program" gives you practical suggestions for implementing math starters in your teaching routine, including tips on evaluation, class management, setting up cooperative groups, and more.
Part II, "MATH Starters" provides six collections of math-starter problems related to six major areas of secondary math. Following is a brief overview of what you'll find for each math areas:
- WHOLE NUMBERS: THEORY & OPERATIONS 86 problems like "Perfect Squares," "Emirps," "Divisibility by 11," and "Symbols" covering types of numbers, basic operations, rules for divisibility, multiple, greatest common factors and other topics
- FRACTIONS, DECIMALS & PERCENTS 122 starters such as "Comparing Fractions & Decimals," "Equivalencies" and "Finding a Number When the Percent of It Is Unknown"
- MEASUREMENT 7% problems using English and metric measurements, time temperature and other measures, including "Obsolete Units" (cubics & spans), "The 24-Hour Clock," "Cords of Wood," "Parsecs and Light Years," and "Computer Memory"
- GEOMETRY 130 starters such as "Types of Angles," "Convex Polygrams," "Generating Pythagorean Triples," and "Identifying Trapezoids and Parallelograms"
- ALGEBRA 128 problems, prealgebra and up, such as "The Number Line," "Adding and Subtracting Integers," "Finding the Slope," and "Finding the GCF of Monomials"
- POTPOURRI 112 math starters on data analysis, probability, fractals, codes, vectors and more, such as "Number Ciphers," "Finding Simple Probability" and "Magic Squares"
Complete answer keys for all math starters are provided in the "Answer Keys" at the end.
Moreover to help you easily select problems to meet the diverse needs of your students, the difficulty level of each starter is denoted by one, two, or three stars for individual or group work. And as a further help, the skills in each of the books's six sections of math starters follow a sequence common to most math curriculum.
- Publication date:
- Product dimensions:
- 8.30(w) x 10.90(h) x 0.80(d)
- Age Range:
- 11 - 17 Years
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >