The McDonaldization of Society / Edition 4by George F. Ritzer
One of the most popular Sociology books of all time has been thoroughly updated to examine how Mc Donaldization has roared into the 21st century. The Mc Donaldization of Society, Revised New Century Edition discusses how Mc Donaldization and the broader process of globalization (in a new Chapter 8), are spreading more widely and more deeply into various social… See more details below
One of the most popular Sociology books of all time has been thoroughly updated to examine how Mc Donaldization has roared into the 21st century. The Mc Donaldization of Society, Revised New Century Edition discusses how Mc Donaldization and the broader process of globalization (in a new Chapter 8), are spreading more widely and more deeply into various social institutions such as education, medicine, the criminal justice system, and more. This Revised New Century Edition provides many new, relevant examples from recent events and contemporary popular culture, including the ever-increasing global proliferation of Mc Donald’s and other fast food franchises, shopping malls, and similar commercial entities. Their impact is examined in the post-September 11, 2001 era.
- SAGE Publications
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Revised New Century Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 5.90(w) x 8.98(h) x 0.73(d)
Table of Contents
1. An Introduction to Mc Donaldization Mc Donalds as a Global Icon The Long Arm of Mc Donaldization The Dimensions of Mc Donaldization The Advantages of Mc Donaldization A Critique of Mc Donaldization: The Irrationality of Rationality What Isn't Mc Donaldized Mc Donald's Troubles: Implications for Mc Donaldization A Look Ahead
2. Mc Donaldization and Its Precursors: From the Iron Cage to the Fast-Food Industry Bureaucratization: Making Life More Rational The Holocaust: Mass-Produced Death Scientific Management: Finding the One Best Way The Assembly Line: Turning Workers Into Robots Levittown: Putting Up Houses - "Boom, Boom, Boom "
Shopping Centers: Malling America Mc Donald's: Creating the "Fast-Food Factory "
3. Efficiency: Drive-Throughs and Finger Foods Streamlining the Process Simplifying the Product Putting Customers to Work Conclusion
4. Calculability: Big Macs and Little Chips Emphasizing Quantity Rather Than Quality of Products Giving the Illusion of Quantity Reducing Production and Service to Number Conclusion
5. Predictability: It Never Rains on Those Little Houses on the Hillside Creating Predictable Settings Scripting Ineraction With Customers Making Employee Behavior Predictable Creating Predictable Products and Processes Minimizing Danger and Unpleasantness Conclusion
6. Control: Human and Nonhuman Robots Controlling Employees Controlling Customers Controlling the Process and the Product The Ultimate Experience of Control? Birth and Death Conclusion
7. The Irrationality of Rationality: Traffic Jams on Those "Happy Trails "
Inefficiency: Long Lines at the Checkout High Cost: Better Off at Home The Illusion of Fun: Ha, Ha, the Stock Market Just Crashed The Illusion of Reality: Even the "Singers" Aren't Real False Friendliness: "Hi, George "
Disenchantment: Where's the Magic Health and Environmental Hazards: Even Your Pets Are at Risk Homogenization: It's No Different in Paris Dehumanization: Getting Hosed at "Trough and Brew "
8. Globalization and Mc Donaldization: Does It All Amount to... Nothing?
Globalization Mc Donaldization and Grobalization Nothing-Somthing and Mc Donaldization Nothing-Something and Grobalization-Glocalization The Case for Mc Donaldization as an Example of the Glocalization of Something The Case for Mc Donaldization as an Example of the Grobalization of Nothing Conclusion
9. Mc Donaldization in a Changing World: Are There Any Limits?
The Forces Driving Mc Donaldization: It Pays, We Value It, It Fits Other Major Social Changes: Mc Donaldization in the Era of the "Posts "
Are There Any Limits to the Expansion of Mc Donaldization?
Looking to the Future: De-Mc Donaldization?
10. Dealing With Mc Donaldization: A Practical Guide Creating "Reasonable" Alternatives: Sometimes You Really Do Have to Break the Rules Fighting Back Collectively: Saving Hearts, Minds, Taste Buds, and the Piazza di Spagna Coping Individually:" Skunk Works," Blindfolded Children, and Fantasy Worlds Conclusion Index About the Author
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >