Meaning / Edition 1by Mark Richard
Pub. Date: 02/28/2003
A collection of readings for a course in the philosophy of language and semantics. The 14 articles are reprinted from publication during the second half of the 20th century. Among the heavyweights represented are Frege, Quine, Putnam, Kripke, and Davidson. Annotation (c)2003 Book News, Inc., Portland, OR
Table of Contents
Introduction: Conceptions of Meaning (Mark Richard).
1. 'On Sense and Reference' (Gottlob Frege).
2. From Naming and Necessity (Saul Kripke).
3. 'Meaning and Reference' (Hilary Putnam).
4. 'Predicate Meets Property' (Mark Wilson).
5. From Meaning (Paul Horwich).
6. From 'Ontological Relativity' (W. V. O. Quine).
7. From 'The Indeterminancy of Translation and the Inscrutability of Reference' (Scott Soames).
8. 'Individuation, Causal Relations, and Quine' (Jody Azzouni).
9. 'Radical Interpretation' (Donald Davidson).
10. 'Semantics and Semantic Competence' (Scott Soames).
11. 'Truth and Understanding' (James Higginbotham).
12. From 'Indexicals and Demonstratives' (John Perry).
13. Two Dogmas of Empiricism (W.V.O. Quine).
14. Armchair Metaphysics. Mind, Method, & Conditionals (Frank Jackson).
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >