Measuring the Performance of Human Service Programs / Edition 2by Lawrence L. Martin, Peter M. Kettner
Pub. Date: 05/12/2009
Publisher: SAGE Publications
Today stakeholders demand accountability from government and nongovernmental human service organizations. Performance measurement has become the major method of performance accountability. So how can human service organizations develop and utilize program output, quality, and outcome performance measures to satisfy stakeholders? This Second Edition of Measuring the… See more details below
Today stakeholders demand accountability from government and nongovernmental human service organizations. Performance measurement has become the major method of performance accountability. So how can human service organizations develop and utilize program output, quality, and outcome performance measures to satisfy stakeholders? This Second Edition of Measuring the Performance of Human Service Programs explains in detail how to measure and assess program effectiveness. With special attention given to the four types of outcome performance measuresnumeric counts, standardized measures, level of functioning (LOF) scales, and client satisfactionthis updated classic is the only resource focused exclusively on performance accountability and performance measurement in the human services.
Features in This Edition
- Provides a fundamental understanding of performance accountability and performance measurement in human service programs with comprehensive and up-to-date material
- Utilizes the systems model as a conceptual framework a common conceptual framework in social work and the human services
- Explains the different types of output (efficiency) performance measurestime, episode, material
- Includes updated examples of efficiency, quality, and effectiveness performance measures in human service organizations
- An Instructor's Resource site (http://www.sagepub.com/martinmeas2einstr) offers Power Point slides for each chapter and suggested assignments to accompany each chapter.
- Intended Audience
This book is designed for graduate courses on social work and human services and is also a invaluable resource for practitioners in human service organizations.
- SAGE Publications
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Second Edition
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 6.00(w) x 9.00(h) x (d)
Table of Contents
1. Performance Accountability and Performance Measurement
What is a Program?
What is Performance Measurement?
Performance Measurement and the Systems Model
Why Adopt Performance Measurement?
2. Putting Performance Accountability and Performance Measurement in Perspective
The Forces Promoting Performance Accountability and Performance Measurement
The Language and Structure of SEA Reporting
Developing and Using Performance Measures
3. Logic Models, Human Service Programs, and Performance Measurement
Developing a Logic Model
Agency Strategic Plan Focus
Community Problem or Need Focus
Social Problem Focus
4. Output Performance Measures
What are Output Performance Measures?
Developing Intermediate Output Performance Measures
Final Output Performance Measures
5. Quality Performance Measures
What is Quality?
The Dimensions of Quality
Types of Quality Performance Measures
6. Outcome Performance Measures
What are Outcome Performance Measures?
Client Problems Versus Client End States
The Four Types of Outcome Performance Measures
Intermediate and Final Outcome Performance Measures
Selecting Outcome Performance Measures
Social Indicators as Final Outcome Performance Measures
Outcome Performance Measures and Programs of Service
Assessing the Four Types of Outcome Performance Measures
What are Numeric Counts?
Examples of Numeric Counts
The Preference for Numeric Counts
An Assessment of Numeric Counts
8. Standardized Measures
What are Standardized Measures?
The Use of Standardized Measures for Evaluation Versus Research
Difference in Standardized Measures
Locating Standardized Measures
Using Standardized Measures as Outcome Performance Measures
Translating Standardized Measures Into Numeric Counts
An Assessment of Standardized Measures
9. Level of Functioning (LOF) Scales
What are Level of Functioning (LOF) Scales?
Principles in Designing LOF Scales
Translating LOF Scales Into Numeric Counts
An Assessment of LOF Scales
10. Client Satisfaction
Using Client Satisfaction as an Outcome Performance Measure
Translating Client Satisfaction Outcomes Into Numeric Counts
An Assessment of Client Satisfaction
11. Using Performance Measurement Information
The Agency and the Human Service Programs
Planning Using Performance Measures
Reporting Using Performance Measures
Performance Accountability and Performance Measurement
About the Authors
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >