Medical-Surgical Nursing (Single Volume): Assessment and Management of Clinical Problems / Edition 7by Sharon L. Lewis, Margaret M. Heitkemper, Shannon Ruff Dirksen, Patricia Graber O'Brien
Pub. Date: 03/16/2007
Publisher: Elsevier Health Sciences
The bestselling Medical-Surgical Nursing, 7th Edition provides a well-rounded and comprehensive approach to nursing care. It covers patient care in various clinical settings by employing a unique levels of care approach, discussing nursing implementation at multiple levels. Special features highlight the content that is most relevant and challenging for today's… See more details below
The bestselling Medical-Surgical Nursing, 7th Edition provides a well-rounded and comprehensive approach to nursing care. It covers patient care in various clinical settings by employing a unique levels of care approach, discussing nursing implementation at multiple levels. Special features highlight the content that is most relevant and challenging for today's nursing students, including patient teaching, nutrition, drug therapy, cultural and ethnic disparities, and more.
• Identifies and discusses all levels of nursing management, including Health Promotion, Acute Intervention, and Ambulatory and Home Care, to prepare the nurse to effectively intervene at various stages of illness.
• Online podcasts feature audio key points summaries for each chapter highlighting important information.
• Extensive gerontologic content discusses age-related changes for each body system and alerts the nurse to differences often encountered in older patients.
• Attractive four-color design and over 1,400 full-color illustrations enhance learning by presenting disease processes and related anatomy and physiology more clearly.
• About 55 thoroughly updated, comprehensive nursing care plans incorporate current NANDA diagnoses, defining characteristics, expected outcomes, interventions with rationales, evaluation criteria, and more.
• New chapters on Health Disparities, Stress and Stress Management, Infection and HIV, and Nursing Management: Obesity provide a more comprehensive look at the world of medical-surgical nursing.
• Electronic Resource Summary at chapter openers alert students to additional electronic resources available on companion CD and Evolve.
• Gender Differences boxes summarize how women and men are affected differently by medical conditions.
• Drug Alert boxes highlight important considerations applicable to key drugs.
• A glossary of key terms and definitions contains definitions and page references.
• NCLEX examination style review questions in each chapter include a focus on prioritization of patient care.
• All nursing care plans now incorporate NIC and NOC. Companion CD:
• More than 50 interactive case studies with realistic, 3-D animations to help you visualize disease processes from the inside out
• A unique Stress-Busting Kit for Nursing Students with strategies for managing your (and your patients') stress
• A collection of Multimedia Supplements with audio and video clips, plus additional animations
• 375 NCLEX® examination-style review questions
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 8.68(w) x 11.08(h) x 2.40(d)
Table of Contents
Section One: Concepts in Nursing Practice
1. Nursing Practice Today
2. Health Disparities
3. Culturally Competent Care
4. Health History and Physical Examination
5. Patient and Family Teaching
6. Older Adults
7. Community-Based Nursing and Home Care
8. Complementary and Alternative Therapies
9. Stress and Stress Management-NEW!
11. Palliative and End-of-Life Care
12. Addictive Behaviors
Section Two: Pathophysiologic Mechanisms of Disease
13. Inflammation and Wound Healing
14. Genetics, Altered Immune Responses, and Transplantation
15. Infection and Human Immunodeficiency Virus InfectionNEW!
17. Fluid, Electrolyte, and Acid-Base Imbalance
Section Three: Perioperative Care
18. Nursing Management: Preoperative Care
19. Nursing Management: Intraoperative Care
20. Nursing Management: Postoperative Care
Section Four: Problems Related to Altered Sensory Input
21. Nursing Assessment: Visual and Auditory Systems
22. Nursing Management: Visual and Auditory Problems
23. Nursing Assessment: Integumentary System
24. Nursing Management: Integumentary Problems
25. Nursing Management: Burns
Section Five: Problems of Oxygenation: Ventilation
26. Nursing Assessment: Respiratory System
27. Nursing Management: Upper Respiratory Problems
28. Nursing Management: Lower Respiratory Problems
29. Nursing Management: Obstructive Pulmonary Diseases
Section Six: Problems of Oxygenation: Transport
30. Nursing Assessment: Hematologic System
31. Nursing Management: Hematologic Proble
Section Seven: Problems of Oxygenation: Perfusion
32. Nursing Assessment: Cardiovascular System
33. Nursing Management: Hypertension
34. Nursing Management: Coronary Artery Disease and Acute Coronary Syndrome
35. Nursing Management: Heart Failure
36. Nursing Management: Dysrhythmias
37. Nursing Management: Inflammatory and Structural Heart Disorders
38. Nursing Management: Vascular Disorders
Section Eight: Problems of Ingestion, Digestion, Absorption, and Elimination
39. Nursing Assessment: Gastrointestinal System
40. Nursing Management: Nutritional Problems
41. Nursing Management: Obesity-NEW!
42. Nursing Management: Upper Gastrointestinal Problems
43. Nursing Management: Lower Gastrointestinal Problems
44. Nursing Management: Liver, Pancreas, and Biliary Problems
Section Nine: Problems of Urinary Function
45. Nursing Assessment: Urinary System
46. Nursing Management: Renal and Urologic Problems
47. Nursing Mgmt.: Acute Renal Failure and Chronic Kidney Disease
Section Ten: Problems Related to Regulatory and Reproductive Mechanisms
48. Nursing Assessment: Endocrine System
49. Nursing Management: Diabetes Mellitus
50. Nursing Management: Endocrine Problems
51. Nursing Assessment: Reproductive System
52. Nursing Management: Breast Disorders
53. Nursing Management: Sexually Transmitted Diseases
54. Nursing Management: Female Reproductive Problems
55. Nursing Management: Male Reproductive Problem
Section Eleven: Problems Related to Movement and Coordination
56. Nursing Assessment: Nervous System
57. Nursing Management: Acute Intracranial Problems
58. Nursing Management: Stroke
59. Nursing Management: Chronic Neurologic Problems
60. Nursing Management: Alzheimer’s Disease and Dementia
61. Nursing Management: Peripheral Nerve and Spinal Cord Problems
62. Nursing Assessment: Musculoskeletal System
63. Nursing Management: Musculoskeletal Trauma and Orthopedic Surgery
64. Nursing Management: Musculoskeletal Problems
65. Nursing Management: Arthritis and Connective Tissue Diseases
Section Twelve: Nursing Care in Specialized Settings
66. Nursing Management: Critical Care
67. Nursing Management: Shock, SIRS, and Multiple Organ Dysfunction Syndrome
68. Nursing Management: Respiratory Failure and Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome
69. Nursing Management: Emergency and Disaster Nursing
A: Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
B: Nursing Diagnoses
C: Laboratory Values
D: Answer Key to Review Questions
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >
Nursing is hard enough, has no one heard of etextbook. Come on people!
Every student nurse needs this book sometime during their program and I recommend getting the two-volume version. It's exactly the same as the single volume except it's split into 2 books instead of one large bulky book.
I was at another nursing school that used this textbook. Even though it's not very colorful, the information is thoroughly covered. The fluid and electrolytes chapter (17) will be forever burned into my brain as I read it over and over and over. It explains things so well and thoroughly. It's pretty tedious, but there are no questions left unanswered. The school I'm in now used the Ignatavicius Med Surg text. It's more colorful, but not nearly as detailed as the Lewis. I don't really care for it. When I have a question I go to the school's library and read what I need in the Lewis text.
Had to buy this book for my Adult Health/Med-Surg class. Its a boring read very dry, however, it is very clear.
It is a great book, It was a required textbook, but very informative and easy to read and understand. It is better to buy this book in two volume, which is easy to carry. I recommend to buy clinical companion with this book, I did not liked the study guide, it was not much helpful. The disc that comes with this book is a great resource, which consist of NCLEX type questions.
This book is nicely organized. Easy to understand and quick to the point. Great figures and tables to illustrate the important information.
I was extremely unhappy with the service I recieved from B&N, not necessarily in regards to the people I spoke with as they were very understanding but more of in regards to shipping. I ordered this book a week before my classes started for the semester thinking it would get to me in time. After I ordered it and hadn't gotten it within the week I recieved an email saying that there was a problem with shipping and it would be another 5 days. I said okay not a problem I dont really need it right now anyways so I waited. A few days later I recieved another email saying that it was out of stock and I would not get it for 30 days. I decided that this obviously was not going to work for me so I went online and canceled the order. About an hour later I received an email saying that my order could not be canceled because it had already entered the shipping process... but how if it was out of stock? I called and the woman said she canceled the order...I got an email saying it could not be canceled. Needless to say I attempted canceling it online and spoke to many phone reps and my order could not be canceled for some reason unknown. I ended up just ordering it from amazon where I received within 4 days and was actually able to start studying. It was not until about a month later that I finally got the book in the mail from B&N and boy was I glad I didnt wait for it, I immediately mailed it right back to them and the return process did not take long at all...maybe 2 weeks. I am not sure if I will ever shop with B&N online again, very discouraging. THE BOOK IS GREAT THOUGH =)
I received this book very shortly after ordering it, I think only 3 days later, it was packaged well, and in great condition.
The book is chock full of information. The biggest problem is getting the information out of the book. In terms of overall organization, it is often difficult to determine what subsection relates to what major section. The color coded type and heading backgrounds are not effective delineations. A few lettered or numbered headings would be an improvement in organization. Additionally, the book is written in a quasi-conversational style making the information not very "chunky." The reader must parse through the material to divine what is relevant. Not a bad thing where continuing education is concerned, but it's inefficient when it comes to organizing and working toward an understanding of the bases of medical and nursing interventions as an undergraduate. The tables for management of conditions are useful, but there are times where one table covers more than one level of acuity and not all interventions in the table are applicable. On the plus side, the book has good images and graphics. The online resources, especially the Key Points outlines, are useful. The book's NCLEX questions are so-so. They're relatively few in number and representative of only the easier types of questions in the test bank.
This book covers in detail all you need to know to do well in college courses and reviewing for the NCLEX.