Medical-Surgical Nursing: Assessment and Management of Clinical Problems, Single Volume / Edition 9by Sharon L. Lewis, Shannon Ruff Dirksen, Margaret M. Heitkemper, Linda Bucher
Pub. Date: 12/16/2013
Publisher: Elsevier Health Sciences
Over the past three decades, more and more nursing educators have turned to Lewis: Medical-Surgical Nursing for its accurate and up-to-date coverage of the latest trends, hot topics, and clinical developments in the field of medical-surgical nursing - and the new ninth edition is no exception! Written by a dedicated team of expert authors led by Sharon Lewis,… See more details below
Over the past three decades, more and more nursing educators have turned to Lewis: Medical-Surgical Nursing for its accurate and up-to-date coverage of the latest trends, hot topics, and clinical developments in the field of medical-surgical nursing - and the new ninth edition is no exception! Written by a dedicated team of expert authors led by Sharon Lewis, Medical-Surgical Nursing, 9th Edition offers the same easy-to-read style that students have come to love, along with the timely and thoroughly accurate content that educators have come to trust. Completely revised and updated content explores patient care in various clinical settings and focuses on key topics such as prioritization, critical thinking, patient safety, and NCLEX® exam preparation. Best of all - a complete collection of interactive student resources creates a more engaging learning environment to prepare you for clinical practice.
- Highly readable format gives you a strong foundation in medical-surgical nursing.
- Content written and reviewed by leading experts in the field ensures that the information is comprehensive, current, and clinically accurate.
- Bridge to NCLEX Examination review questions at the end of each chapter reinforce key content while helping you prepare for the NCLEX examination with both standard and alternate item format questions.
- UNIQUE! "Levels of Care" approach explains how nursing care varies for different levels of health and illness.
- More than 50 comprehensive nursing care plans in the book and online incorporate NIC, NOC, and current NANDA diagnoses, defining characteristics, expected outcomes, specific nursing interventions with rationales, evaluation criteria, and collaborative problems.
- Over 800 full-color illustrations and photographs clearly demonstrate disease processes and related anatomy and physiology.
- NEW! Unfolding case studies included throughout each assessment chapter help you apply important concepts and procedures to real-life patient care.
- NEW! Managing Multiple Patients case studies at the end of each section give you practice applying your knowledge of various disorders and help you prioritize and delegate patient care.
- NEW! Informatics boxes discuss how technology is used by nurses and patients in health care settings.
- NEW! Expanded coverage of evidence-based practice helps you understand how to apply the latest research to real-life patient care.
- NEW! Expanded Safety Alerts throughout the book cover surveillance for high-risk situations.
- NEW! Separate chapter on genetics expands on this key topic that impacts nearly every condition with a focus on the practical application to nursing care of patients.
- NEW! Expanded coverage of delegation includes additional Delegation Decisions boxes covering issues such as hypertension and postoperative patient care.
- NEW! Genetic Risk Alerts and Genetic Link headings highlight specific genetic issues related to body system assessments and disorders.
- NEW! Revised art program enhances the book’s visual appeal and lends a more contemporary look throughout.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- New Edition
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 8.75(w) x 11.12(h) x 2.25(d)
Table of Contents
Section One - Concepts in Nursing Practice
- Professional Nursing Practice
- Health Disparities and Culturally Competent Care
- Health History and Physical Examination
- Patient and Caregiver Teaching
- Chronic Illness and Older Adults
- Complementary and Alternative Therapies
- Stress and Stress Management
- Sleep and Sleep Disorders
- Palliative Care at End of Life
- Addictive Behaviors
- Inflammation and Wound Healing
- Genetics and Genomics
- Altered Immune Responses and Transplantation
- Fluid, Electrolyte, and Acid-Base Imbalances
- Nursing Management: Preoperative Care
- Nursing Management: Intraoperative Care
- Nursing Management: Postoperative Care
- Nursing Assessment: Visual and Auditory Systems
- Nursing Management: Visual and Auditory Problems
- Nursing Assessment: Integumentary System
- Nursing Management: Integumentary Problems
- Nursing Management: Burns
- Nursing Assessment: Respiratory System
- Nursing Management: Upper Respiratory Problems
- Nursing Management: Lower Respiratory Problems
- Nursing Management: Obstructive Pulmonary Diseases
- Nursing Assessment: Hematologic System
- Nursing Management: Hematologic Problems
- Nursing Assessment: Cardiovascular System
- Nursing Management: Hypertension
- Nursing Management: Coronary Artery Disease and Acute Coronary Syndrome
- Nursing Management: Heart Failure
- Nursing Management: Dysrhythmias
- Nursing Management: Inflammatory and Structural Heart Disorders
- Nursing Management: Vascular Disorders
- Nursing Assessment: Gastrointestinal System
- Nursing Management: Nutritional Problems
- Nursing Management: Obesity
- Nursing Management: Upper Gastrointestinal Problems
- Nursing Management: Lower Gastrointestinal Problems
- Nursing Management: Liver, Pancreas, and Biliary Tract Problems
- Nursing Assessment: Urinary System
- Nursing Management: Renal and Urologic Problems
- Nursing Management: Acute Renal Failure and Chronic Kidney Disease
- Nursing Assessment: Endocrine System
- Nursing Management: Diabetes Mellitus
- Nursing Management: Endocrine Problems
- Nursing Assessment: Reproductive System
- Nursing Management: Breast Disorders
- Nursing Management: Sexually Transmitted Diseases
- Nursing Management: Female Reproductive Problems
- Nursing Management: Male Reproductive Problems
- Nursing Assessment: Nervous System
- Nursing Management: Acute Intracranial Problems
- Nursing Management: Stroke
- Nursing Management: Chronic Neurologic Problems
- Nursing Management: Alzheimer’s Disease and Dementia
- Nursing Management: Peripheral Nerve and Spinal Cord Problems
- Nursing Assessment: Musculoskeletal System
- Nursing Management: Musculoskeletal Trauma and Orthopedic Surgery
- Nursing Management: Musculoskeletal Problems
- Nursing Management: Arthritis and Connective Tissue Diseases
- Nursing Management: Critical Care
- Nursing Management: Shock, Systemic Inflammatory Response Syndrome, and Multiple Organ Dysfunction Syndrome
- Nursing Management: Respiratory Failure and Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome
- Nursing Management: Emergency, Terrorism, and Disaster Nursing
Section Two - Pathophysiologic Mechanisms of Disease
Section Three - Perioperative Care
Section Four - Problems Related to Altered Sensory Input
Section Five - Problems of Oxygenation: Ventilation
Section Six - Problems of Oxygenation: Transport
Section Seven - Problems of Oxygenation: Perfusion
Section Eight - Problems of Ingestion, Digestion, Absorption, and Elimination
Section Nine - Problems of Urinary Function
Section Ten - Problems Related to Regulatory and Reproductive Mechanisms
Section Eleven - Problems Related to Movement and Coordination
Section Twelve - Nursing Care in Specialized Settings
Appendix A. Basic Life Support for Health Care Providers
Appendix B. Nursing Diagnoses
Appendix C. Laboratory Reference Intervals
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >
Nursing is hard enough, has no one heard of etextbook. Come on people!
Every student nurse needs this book sometime during their program and I recommend getting the two-volume version. It's exactly the same as the single volume except it's split into 2 books instead of one large bulky book.
I was at another nursing school that used this textbook. Even though it's not very colorful, the information is thoroughly covered. The fluid and electrolytes chapter (17) will be forever burned into my brain as I read it over and over and over. It explains things so well and thoroughly. It's pretty tedious, but there are no questions left unanswered. The school I'm in now used the Ignatavicius Med Surg text. It's more colorful, but not nearly as detailed as the Lewis. I don't really care for it. When I have a question I go to the school's library and read what I need in the Lewis text.
Had to buy this book for my Adult Health/Med-Surg class. Its a boring read very dry, however, it is very clear.
It is a great book, It was a required textbook, but very informative and easy to read and understand. It is better to buy this book in two volume, which is easy to carry. I recommend to buy clinical companion with this book, I did not liked the study guide, it was not much helpful. The disc that comes with this book is a great resource, which consist of NCLEX type questions.
This book is nicely organized. Easy to understand and quick to the point. Great figures and tables to illustrate the important information.
I was extremely unhappy with the service I recieved from B&N, not necessarily in regards to the people I spoke with as they were very understanding but more of in regards to shipping. I ordered this book a week before my classes started for the semester thinking it would get to me in time. After I ordered it and hadn't gotten it within the week I recieved an email saying that there was a problem with shipping and it would be another 5 days. I said okay not a problem I dont really need it right now anyways so I waited. A few days later I recieved another email saying that it was out of stock and I would not get it for 30 days. I decided that this obviously was not going to work for me so I went online and canceled the order. About an hour later I received an email saying that my order could not be canceled because it had already entered the shipping process... but how if it was out of stock? I called and the woman said she canceled the order...I got an email saying it could not be canceled. Needless to say I attempted canceling it online and spoke to many phone reps and my order could not be canceled for some reason unknown. I ended up just ordering it from amazon where I received within 4 days and was actually able to start studying. It was not until about a month later that I finally got the book in the mail from B&N and boy was I glad I didnt wait for it, I immediately mailed it right back to them and the return process did not take long at all...maybe 2 weeks. I am not sure if I will ever shop with B&N online again, very discouraging. THE BOOK IS GREAT THOUGH =)
I received this book very shortly after ordering it, I think only 3 days later, it was packaged well, and in great condition.
The book is chock full of information. The biggest problem is getting the information out of the book. In terms of overall organization, it is often difficult to determine what subsection relates to what major section. The color coded type and heading backgrounds are not effective delineations. A few lettered or numbered headings would be an improvement in organization. Additionally, the book is written in a quasi-conversational style making the information not very "chunky." The reader must parse through the material to divine what is relevant. Not a bad thing where continuing education is concerned, but it's inefficient when it comes to organizing and working toward an understanding of the bases of medical and nursing interventions as an undergraduate. The tables for management of conditions are useful, but there are times where one table covers more than one level of acuity and not all interventions in the table are applicable. On the plus side, the book has good images and graphics. The online resources, especially the Key Points outlines, are useful. The book's NCLEX questions are so-so. They're relatively few in number and representative of only the easier types of questions in the test bank.
This book covers in detail all you need to know to do well in college courses and reviewing for the NCLEX.