Medifocus Guidebook on: Rheumatoid Arthritisby Elliot Jacob PhD.
The MediFocus Guidebook on Rheumatoid Arthritis is the most comprehensive, up-to-date source of information available. You will get answers to your questions, including risk factors of Rheumatoid Arthritis, standard and alternative treatment options, leading doctors, hospitals and medical centers that specialize in Rheumatoid Arthritis, results of the latest clinical… See more details below
- LendMe LendMe™ Learn More
The MediFocus Guidebook on Rheumatoid Arthritis is the most comprehensive, up-to-date source of information available. You will get answers to your questions, including risk factors of Rheumatoid Arthritis, standard and alternative treatment options, leading doctors, hospitals and medical centers that specialize in Rheumatoid Arthritis, results of the latest clinical trials, support groups and additional resources, and promising new treatments on the horizon. This one of a kind Guidebook offers answers to your critical health questions including the latest treatments, clinical trials, and expert research; high quality, professional level information you can trust and understand culled from the latest peer-reviewed journals; and a unique resource to find leading experts, institutions, and support organizations including contact information and hyperlinks. This Guidebook was updated on December 10, 2010.
Rheumatoid arthritis is a chronic inflammatory condition of the synovial membrane - the thin layer of connective tissue that lines the joints. If left untreated, chronic inflammation of the joints can lead to joint damage, deformity, and loss of function. The primary symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis include painful, swollen joints usually accompanied by morning stiffness lasting for 1 hour or longer.
Because damage to the joints occurs early in the course of rheumatoid arthritis, early diagnosis and treatment is crucial for halting progression of the disease and preserving functional ability. Although rheumatoid arthritis is a life-long illness for which currently there is no known cure, early and aggressive treatment can help to slow down the disease progression and prevent disability.
It should come as no surprise to anyone who suffers from this condition to learn that rheumatoid arthritis can have a significant negative impact on quality of life. Joint pain, swelling, morning stiffness, fatigue impaired mobility, and loss of independence present difficult challenges involving almost every aspect of life including:
* Activities of daily living
* Job-related tasks and functions
* Recreational activities
* Personal hygiene
* Social interactions with family and friends
* Psychological and emotional wellbeing
In general, there are four major categories of drugs that are used for the management of patients with rheumatoid arthritis:
* Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
* Disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs (DMARDs)
* Selective costimulation modulators
Supportive therapies for rheumatoid arthritis include:
* Physical therapy
* Occupational therapy
* Exercises - passive range-of-motion; isometric; hydrotherapy
* Thermotherapy - application of superficial moist heat or ice packs
* Splints/Orthoses - wrist supports; finger splints; special shoes and shoe insoles
* Therapeutic ulrasound - the use of sound waves applied to an area of the body to reduce inflammation, pain, and tenderness
* Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) - the use of electrical stimulation to block the sensation of pain from reaching the brain.
Learn more by ordering your MediFocus Guidebook on Rheumatoid Arthritis, the most comprehensive, up-to-date source of information available. You will get answers to your questions, including:
* What are the risk factors of Rheumatoid Arthritis?
* What standard and alternative treatment options are available?
* Where are the leading doctors, hospitals and medical centers that specialize in Rheumatoid Arthritis research and treatment?
* What are the results of the latest clinical trials?
* Where are the support groups and additional resources in my area?
* What are the promising new treatments on the horizon?
You won't find this combination of information anywhere else. Your health matters. Don't leave it to chance. Arm yourself with the most comprehensive, up-to-date research available by ordering your MediFocus Guidebook today.
- Publication date:
- Sold by:
- Barnes & Noble
- NOOK Book
- File size:
- 393 KB
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >