- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
Minds, Brains, and Computers presents a vital resource — the most comprehensive interdisciplinary selection of seminal papers in the foundations of cognitive science, from leading figures in artificial intelligence, linguistics, philosophy, psychology, and neuroscience.
Part I: The Mind as Computer: Introduction:.
1. A History of Thinking: D. D. Cummins.
2. Minds and Machines: H. Putnam.
3. Semantic Engines: An Introduction to Mind Design: J. Haugeland.
4. The Language of Thought: J. A. Fodor.
5. Vision: D. Marr.
6. GPS, A Program that Simulates Human Thought: A. Newell and H. Simon.
7. A Procedural Model of Language Understanding: T. Winograd.
8. A General Learning Theory and its Application to Schema Abstraction: J. R. Anderson and P. J. Kline.
9. Minds, Brains, and Programs: J. R. Searle.
10. Computing, Machinery, and Intelligence: M. Turing.
Part II: The Mind as Neural Network: Introduction: .
11. The Perceptron: A Probabilistic Model for Information Storage and Organization in the Brian: F. Rosenblatt.
12. Cognitive Activity in Artificial Neural Networks: P. M. Churchland.
13. Cooperative Computation of Stereo Disparity: D. Marr and T. Poggio.
14. On Learning the Past Tenses of English Verbs: D. E. Rumelhart and J. L. McClelland.
15. Parallel Networks that Learn to Pronounce English Text: T. J. Sejnowski and C. R. Rosenberg.
16. Connectionism and the Problem of Systematicity: Why Smolensky's Solution Won't Work: J. A. Fodor and B. P. McLaughlin.
17. Connectionism and the Language of Thought: P. Smolensky.
18. Rules and Connections in Human Language: S. Pinker and A. Prince.
Part III: The Mind as Brain: Introduction: .
19. The Organization of Behavior: D. O. Hebb.
20. In Search of the Engram: K. Lashley.
21. A Logical Calculus of the Ideas Immanent in Nervous Activity: W. S. McCulloch and W. H. Pitts.
22. Is Consciousness a Brain Process?: U. T. Place.
23. The Computational Brain: Appendix: P. S. Churchland and T. J. Sejnowski.
24. What the Frog's Eye Tells the Frog's Brain: J. Y. Lettvin, H. K. Maturana, W. S. McCulloch, and W. H. Pitts.
25. Positron Emission: Tomographic Studies of the Cortical Anatomy of Single-word Processing: S. E. Petersen, P. T. Fox, M. I. Posner, M. Minton, and M. E. Raichle.
26. Computational Neuroscience: T. J. Sejnowski, C. Koch, and P. S. Churchland.
27. Two Cortical Visual Systems: L. G. Ungerleider and M. Mishkin.
Part IV: Special Topics: Introduction: .
28. Recent Contributions to the Theory of Innate Ideas: N. Chomsky.
29. The 'Innateness Hypothesis' and the Explanatory Models in Linguistics: H. Putnam.
30. Linguistics and Philosophy: N. Chomsky.
31. Initial Knowledge: Six Suggestions: E. Spelke.
32. Précis of the Modularity of Mind: J. A. Fodor.
33. Eliminative Materialism and the Propositional Attitudes: P. M. Churchland.
34. The Social Function of Intellect: N. Humphrey.
35. Origins of Domain Specificity: The Evolution of Functional Organization: L. Cosmides and J. Tooby.