- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
Written by some of the world's leading academics and professionals in the field, this collection of essays brings together two complementary views on child development - the role of society and the role of cognitive growth.
List of Figures.
List of Tables.
List of Contributors.
Foreword (Jerome Bruner).
1. Constructivist To The Core: An Introduction To The Volume (Janet Wilde Astington).
Part I: Meaning Making, Literacy, and Culture.
2. The Sociability of Meaning: Olson's Interpretive Community (Carol Fleisher Feldman).
3. Making Up My Mind: Learning The Culture of Olson and OISE (Penelope G. Vinden).
4. Literacy As Symbolic Space (Jens Brockmeier).
5. Cognition and The Lexicon In The Environment of Texts (Rita Watson).
6. Rhetorical and Aesthetic Form: Poetry As Textual Art (Joan Peskin).
7. Building On The Oral Tradition: How Story Composition and Comprehension Develop (Anne Mckeough).
8. From Action To Writing: Modes of Representing and Knowing (Gordon Wells).
Part II: Representation, Language, and Theory of Mind.
9. Minds In The (Re)Making: Imitation and The Dialectic of Representation (Philip David Zelazo).
10. Content and The Representation of Belief and Desire (Robin N. Campbell).
11. Lying As Doing Deceptive Things With Words: A Speech Act Theoretical Perspective (Kang Lee).
12. Internal and External Notions of Metarepresentation: A Developmental Perspective (Deepthi Kamawar & Bruce D. Homer).
13. RUM, PUM, and The Perspectival Relativity of Sortals (Josef Perner).
14. Mind, Memory, and Metacognition: The Role of Memory Span In Children's Developing Understanding of The Mind (Thomas Keenan).
15. Nonverbal Theory of Mind: is it Important, is it Implicit, is it Simulation, is it Relevant to Autism (Ted Ruffman).
16. Language and Metalanguage In Children's Understanding of Mind (Janet Wilde Astington).
Afterword (Angela Hildyard & Nancy Torrance).