Robert L. Shook, a prolific nonfiction writer, has authored more than 50 books. Several have been best sellers including Longaberger, a New York Times Number One best seller. He is currently working on a marketing book titled,The Customer Rules.
Miracle Medicines: Seven Lifesaving Drugs and the People Who Created Themby Robert L. Shook
Miracle Medicines goes behind the scenes of the pharmaceutical industry and into the high-security laboratories to tell the stories of the men and women---chemists, physiologists, medical and clinical researchers, engineers---who have chosen to toil for years in the lab in order to transform scientific/i>
It’s the business of saving lives.
Miracle Medicines goes behind the scenes of the pharmaceutical industry and into the high-security laboratories to tell the stories of the men and women---chemists, physiologists, medical and clinical researchers, engineers---who have chosen to toil for years in the lab in order to transform scientific theories into new lifesaving medicines.
You’ll witness the day-to-day labors, victories and defeats of the dedicated professionals who are waging a war against the diseases that still plague mankind. From the confines of their laboratories, these pharmaceutical adventurers explore unknown territories in health and science.
Miracle Medicines reveals what really happens during the long and uncertain journey that each new drug and its creators must endure from theory, to research, to testing and, finally, FDA approval and delivery to the public. It’s a very human story within the context of fascinating scientific innovation.
Through first hand interviews you’ll also meet the patients who benefit from these manmade miracles and learn how, within their bloodstreams, an ongoing battle is raging. The drugs profiled are:
- Advair: GlaxoSmithKline’s revolutionary asthma medication, the first packaged as both a control and emergency drug.
- Gleevec: The Novartis’ chronic myeloid leukemia treatment born from decades of medical research in a field of study that was once considered hopeless.
- Humalog: Eli Lilly’s reinvention of insulin to control diabetes has been described as being better than nature
- Lipitor: Pfizer’s miracle antidote for high cholesterol that was nearly lost to the pharmaceutical vaults and has since become the world’s top-selling medicine.
- Norvir: Abbott’s contribution to the fight against HIV that nearly erases all traces of the disease from the bloodstream and prolongs the life of patients.
- Remicade: Created for the treatment of Crohn’s disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other Immune Mediated Inflammatory Diseases, Johnson&Johnson’s revolutionary biomedicine was developed from technology that once was only found in science fiction.
- Seroquel: AstraZeneca’s treatment for both schizophrenia and bipolar mania that has given millions of psychiatrics a new lease on life.
This compelling and truth-revealing book will forever change the way you view the medicines in your medicine cabinet, and the people who create them.
- Penguin Publishing Group
- Publication date:
- Sold by:
- Penguin Group
- NOOK Book
- File size:
- 454 KB
- Age Range:
- 18 Years
Meet the Author
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews