Mobile Ad Hoc Networks: Energy-Efficient Real-Time Data Communications / Edition 1by Bulent Tavli, Wendi Heinzelman
Pub. Date: 12/08/2010
Publisher: Springer Netherlands
A Mobile Ad Hoc Network (MANET) is an autonomous system of mobile nodes connected by wireless links to form a communication network. The challenge in the design of prool architectures for MANETs is to provide a certain level of Quality of Service (QoS) in information transfer using the limited network resources, namely energy and bandwidth. This design goal is… See more details below
A Mobile Ad Hoc Network (MANET) is an autonomous system of mobile nodes connected by wireless links to form a communication network. The challenge in the design of prool architectures for MANETs is to provide a certain level of Quality of Service (QoS) in information transfer using the limited network resources, namely energy and bandwidth. This design goal is further constrained by the unreliable physical channel, the mobility of the nodes, and the lack of infrastructure for network coordination. To meet the QoS requirements for real-time data communication, some coordination of the channel is needed, but centralized coordination is not feasible in MANETs. Furthermore, since a MANET is a dynamic, distributed entity, the optimal control of such a system should also be dynamic and adaptive. This book presents the Time Reservation using Adaptive Control for Energy Efficiency (TRACE) family of prool architectures that provide such dynamic coordinated channel access in a distributed manner, enabling energy-efficient, real-time data communications in MANETs. Furthermore, this book provides an introduction to the fundamentals of MANETs, an overview of prools for each layer of the prool stack, and a discussion of the issues involved with energy-efficient prool design and quality of service for real-time data transmission.
- Springer Netherlands
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Softcover reprint of hardcover 1st ed. 2006
- Product dimensions:
- 6.10(w) x 9.25(h) x 0.36(d)
Table of Contents
Dedication. List of Figures. List of Tables. Preface.
1. INTRODUCTION. 1.1 Characteristics of MANETs. 1.2 Importance of QoS and Energy Efficiency in MANETs. 1.3 Scope and Novelty of the Book. 1.4 High Level Overview of the Book.
2. MANET FUNDAMENTALS. 2.1 Performance Metrics. 2.2 The Layered Communication Network. 2.3 Cross-layer Design. 2.4 Mobility.
3. MEDIUM ACCESS CONTROL. 3.1 Fixed Assignment MAC Prools. 3.2 Random Access MAC Prools.
4. ROUTING. 4.1 Unicast Routing. 4.2 Multicast Routing. 4.3 Broadcasting Routing. 4.4 Hierarchically Organized Networks.
5. ENERGY EFFICIENCY AND QOS. 5.1 Energy Efficiency. 5.2 Quality of Service.
6. SH-TRACE PROTOCOL ARCHITECTURE. 6.1 Introduction. 6.2 Prool Architecture. 6.3 Simulations and Analysis. 6.4 Discussion. 6.5 Summary.
7. MH-TRACE PROTOCOL ARCHITECTURE. 7.1 Introduction. 7.2 Prool Architecture. 7.3 Simulations and Analysis. 7.4 Discussion. 7.5 Summary.
8. EFFECTS OF CHANNEL ERRORS. 8.1 Introduction. 8.2 Related Work. 8.3 Analytical Model. 8.4 Simulations and Analysis. 8.5 Summary.
9. REAL-TIME DATA BROADCASTING. 9.1 Introduction. 9.2 Broadcast Architectures. 9.3 Simulation Environment. 9.4 Low Traffic Regime. 9.5 High Traffic Regime. 9.6 Summary.
10. NB-TRACE PROTOCOL ARCHITECTURE. 10.1 Introduction. 10.2 Prool Architecture. 10.3 Simulations and Analysis.10.4 Summary.
11. MC-TRACE PROTOCOL ARCHITECTURE. 11.1 Introduction. 11.2 Prool Architecture. 11.3 Simulations and Analysis. 11.4 Summary.
12. CONCLUSIONS AND FUTURE RESEARCH DIRECTIONS. 12.1 Conclusions. 12.2 Future Research Directions.
Appendices. A Multi-Stage Contention with Feedback. A.1 Generic DR-TDMA Frame Structure. A.2 Single-Stage S-ALOHA Contention. A.3 Multi-Stage Contention. A.4 Optimal Multi-Stage Contention. A.5 Discussion. A.6 Summary
B Effects of Clusterhead Separation on MH-TRACE. B.1 Modified Cluster Creation and Maintenance Algorithms. B.2 Simulation Results and Discussion. B.3 Summary
C Broadcast Capacity of Wireless Ad Hoc Networks. C.1 Background. C.2 Upper Bound on Broadcast Capacity. C.3 Summary
D Glossary of Terms
Index. About The Authors
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >