- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
1. Introduction: “Sheer Playfulness and Deadly Seriousness”
2. From The Ghost Writer to The Counterlife: Comic Incongruity and the Road to Postmodernism
3. Operation Shylock: The Double, the Comic, and the Quest for Identity
4. Sabbath’s Theater: Sabbath’s Fear of Death—Raunchy? Picaresque? Heroic?
5. American Pastoral: The Tragicomic Fall of Newark and the House of Levov
6. I Married a Communist: “A Grave Misfortune Replete with Farce”
7. The Human Stain: Comic Irony and the Lives of Coleman Silk
8. The Dying Animal: “Pleasure Is Our Subject”
9. The Plot Against America: Paranoia or Possibility?
10. Conclusion: “The Farcical Edge of Suffering”