Moderate Sedation/Analgesia / Edition 2by Michael Kost
Pub. Date: 02/01/2004
Publisher: Elsevier Health Sciences
This 2nd edition focuses on the preprocedural, procedural, and postprocedural care of the moderately sedated patient. It is designed for any clinician involved in the administration of moderate sedation and written by a clinician involved in the practice on a daily basis. The primary focus of this new edition is to provide all the content and tools necessary to
This 2nd edition focuses on the preprocedural, procedural, and postprocedural care of the moderately sedated patient. It is designed for any clinician involved in the administration of moderate sedation and written by a clinician involved in the practice on a daily basis. The primary focus of this new edition is to provide all the content and tools necessary to demonstrate competency in moderate sedation/analgesia.
• Includes a greater focus on the core competencies necessary for clinical practice.
• Concept Checks are integrated throughout to help the learner assess the mastering of the content presented.
• Includes the recommended standards of practice from the ANA, AORN, American Academy of Pediatrics, and JCAHO's Sample Policies & Procedures.
• Contains sample clinical competencies for moderate sedation so the book can be used as a study guide and measurement tool.
• Incorporates throughout important information on the specific moderate sedation parameters of the pediatric and geriatric patients addressing preprocedural assessment, physiologic variations, pharmacologic considerations and sedative techniques.
• Includes a comprehensive pharmacologic profile of each medication used in the moderate sedation practice setting.
• Follows a recommended ‘core curriculum' format, but each idea and concept are discussed in detail.
• Increased integration of actual Clinical Scenarios facilitates the application of content knowledge and utilization of critical thinking skills.
• Integration of herbal preparations and their impact on pre-sedation care.
• Latest JCAHO Sedation/Anesthesia Guidelines (2004) incorporated throughout.
• A larger trim size (8.5 x 11) provides more of a ‘manual' feel and allows the reader to make notes and work through various tools throughout the book.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 0.74(w) x 8.25(h) x 11.00(d)
Table of Contents
UNIT ONE: Preprocedural Patient Care
1. Goals, Definitions, Practice Standards and Guidelines
2. Presedation Assessment and Patient Selection
UNIT TWO: Procedural Patient Care
3. Pharmacologic Concepts
4. Sedation/Analgesia Medication and Techniques of Administration
5. Sedation/Analgesia Pharmacologic Profile
6. Procedural Patient Monitoring
7. Airway Management and Management of Respiratory Complications
8. Intravenous Insertion Techniques/Intravenous Solutions
9. Geriatric Patient Care
10. Pediatric Patient Care
UNIT THREE: Postsedation Patient Care
11. Postsedation Patient Care, Monitoring, and Discharge Criteria
12. Risk Management Strategies
A. Practice Guidelines for Sedation and Analgesia by Non-Anesthesiologists
B. Joint Commissions: Standards for Sedation and Anesthesia Care
C. Endorsement of Position Statement on the Role of the Regional Nurse (RN) in the Management of Patients Receiving IV Conscious Sedation for Short-Term Therapeutic, Diagnostic, or Surgical Procedures
D. American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Drugs
E. Clinical Competencies for Sedation-Analgesia
F. American Association of Nurse Anesthetists
G. Learner Self-Assessment References
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >