Mod_perl 2 User's Guideby Stas Bekman, Jim Brandt
As with any
mod_perl 2, the next generation of the Apache Perl module, gives you full access to the Apache 2 internals via the Perl programming language, just as mod_perl 1 gave you access to Apache 1. New features in Apache and Perl make mod_perl 2 even more powerful and useful than before, allowing you to quickly write and deploy fast, robust web applications.
As with any major upgrade, there are new features and key changes to mod_perl from the 1.x generation. The mod_perl 2 User's Guide explains these key changes and demonstrates the tools you can use to port modules and migrate your existing code. Improvements in Apache 2 and mod_perl 2 include:
* Multi-Processing Model modules (MPMs) allow for process-based and thread-based processing models. The addition of thread support makes mod_perl viable on Win32 and introduces the potential for improved performance on other platforms.
* Protocol Modules give Apache and mod_perl the potential to serve any protocol, not just HTTP.
* A mod_perl 2 interface to the Apache filtering API gives full access to input and output filters from Perl.
* Support for creating custom Apache configuration directives in pure Perl, improved options for passing values to Perl modules from Apache, and greater access to the Apache configuration values.
* The Apache::Test framework, useful for Perl and non-Perl Apache modules, allows you to develop fully-tested web applications to verify features and guard against regression.
* The ability to easily subclass ModPerl::Registry and override methods as needed.
This guide provides installation and configuration guidelines, as well as details on all the ways you can plug into the Apache request cycle. You'll also learn how to write mod_perl handlers to deliver content with rapid response times and to leverage your existing CGI scripts with ModPerl::Registry.
Whether you're new to mod_perl or migrating from mod_perl 1, the mod_perl 2 User's Guide will give you the information you need to get up and running on Apache 2 and mod_perl 2.
Half of all proceeds from the sale of this book will be donated to The Perl Foundation.
- Onyx Neon Press
- Publication date:
- Product dimensions:
- 6.00(w) x 9.00(h) x 0.88(d)
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews