- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
Winner of the 2013 Orbis Pictus Award for Outstanding Nonfiction for Children
“…readers…will find plenty to admire in this picture book biography.”--Booklist, starred
"An exceptional life; a stunning achievement.”--Kirkus, starred
"A noteworthy choice for all collections.”--School Library Journal, starred
"has so much...passion" —Horn Book
“Schubert gives depth and compassion to a performer whose art might otherwise be mistaken for clowning.” —Publishers Weekly
"If young readers missed the opportunity to meet world-renowned mime Marcel Marceau in Gloria Spielman’s picture-book biography (Marcel Marceau, BCCB 10/11), here is a second chance." - BCCB
Common Core Standards
This discussion and activity guide was designed to help students meet reading standards for grade 3 (see below). Most questions and activities can be adapted to meet the standards for grade 2 or grade 4. Students might also meet a variety of writing standards with the activities, depending on the ways in which teachers assign activities and provide guidance.
Key Ideas and Details
* CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.3.1 Ask and answer questions to demonstrate understanding of a text, referring explicitly to the text as the basis for the answers.
* CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.3.2 Recount stories, including fables, folktales, and myths from diverse cultures; determine the central message, lesson, or moral and explain how it is conveyed through key details in the text.
* CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.3.3 Describe characters in a story (e.g., their traits, motivations, or feelings) and explain how their actions contribute to the sequence of events.
Craft and Structure
* CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.3.4 Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text, distinguishing literal from nonliteral language.
Integration of Knowledge and Ideas
* CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.3.7 Explain how specific aspects of a text’s illustrations contribute to what is conveyed by the words in a story (e.g., create mood, emphasize aspects of a character or setting)