Morality and Public Policy / Edition 1by Steven M. Cahn, Tziporah Kasachkoff
Pub. Date: 06/28/2002
This anthology explores a variety of positions on recent, controversial, social problems—all of which involve government policy. The wide-range of contemporary issues includes allowing/encouraging immigration, use of school vouchers, government control over drugs and guns, same-sex marriages, government support of the arts, affirmative/b>/b>… See more details below
This anthology explores a variety of positions on recent, controversial, social problems—all of which involve government policy. The wide-range of contemporary issues includes allowing/encouraging immigration, use of school vouchers, government control over drugs and guns, same-sex marriages, government support of the arts, affirmative action, the death penalty, and the legitimacy of legally restricting the sale of pornography. For anyone seeking to clarify their understanding and thinking about rights and wrongs in public affairs.
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- New Edition
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 5.90(w) x 8.80(h) x 0.90(d)
Table of Contents
I. SCHOOL VOUCHERS.
1. Justice and the Case for School Vouchers, Joseph S. Spoerl.
2. Parental Choice, Amy Guttman.
3. Rethinking School Choice, Jeffrey R. Henig.
II. GOVERNMENT SUPPORT FOR THE ARTS.
4. Can a Liberal State Support Art?, Ronald Dworkin.
5. Public Benefits of the Arts and Humanities, Thomas Nagel.
6. Can Government Funding of the Arts Be Justified Theoretically?, Noël Carroll.
III. PORNOGRAPHY AND THE LAW.
7. Pornography, Oppression, and Freedom: A Closer Look, Helen E. Longino.
8. The Feminist Case against Pornography, Joel Feinberg.
IV. SAME -SEX MARRIAGE.
9. Same-Sex Marriage: A Philosophical Defense, Ralph Wedgwood.
10. Is It Wrong to Discriminate on the Basis of Homosexuality?, Jeffrey Jordan.
V. DRUG LEGISLATION.
11. Liberal Neutrality and Drug Prohibitions, Douglas Husak.
12. Liberalism and Rights of Drug Use, Samuel Freeman.
VI. GUN CONTROL.
13. The Liberal Basis of the Right to Bear Arms, Todd C. Hughes and Lester H. Hunt.
14. Gun Control, Hugh LaFollette.
VII. THE DEATH PENALTY.
15. In Defense of the Death Penalty, Ernest van den Haag.
16. Capital Punishment, Hugo Adam Bedau.
17. The Distribution of Membership, Michael Walzer.
18. Migration and Morality: A Liberal Egalitarian Perspective, Joseph H. Carens.
IX. AFFIRMATIVE ACTION.
19. Two Concepts of Affirmative Action, Steven M. Cahn.
20 The Message of Affirmative Action, Thomas E. Hill, Jr.
21. Reverse Discrimination, Sidney Hook.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >