- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
Reflecting the 2010 Emergency Cardiovascular Care guidelines, Mosby's Paramedic Textbook, 4th Edition provides a comprehensive learning tool for both first-time and refresher paramedic students. Coverage includes an overview of key subjects such as pharmacology, airway management, medical disorders, patient assessment, and trauma. ALS patient care skills are presented step by step, both in the book and in online video clips. New to this edition are nine new chapters, many new topics, and 150 new photos. Written by paramedic expert Mick Sanders, Mosby's Paramedic Textbook follows the National EMS Education Standards and offers complete coverage of the National Standard Curriculum (NSC) for the EMT-Paramedic.
• More than 1,000 illustrations — including 150 that are NEW — accurately present different techniques and skills.
• Chapter openers, objectives and key terms set the stage for learning.
• Advanced Life Support (ALS) skills are presented step by step and in full color.
• Critical thinking questions help in understanding concepts and in applying them to patient care.
• A summary and a list of references in each chapter make review easier.
• A herbal appendix in the pharmacology chapter provides access to herbal content.
• Drug monographs on the Evolve companion website include Mosby's Essential Drugs, with instant access to comprehensive, up-to-date information on the medications that are administered by paramedics as well as those most commonly prescribed to patients.
• NEW! Nine new chapters and thoroughly updated content align the text with the new National EMS Education Standards and reflect the 2010 ECC (Emergency Cardiovascular Care) guidelines.
• NEW topics include coronary bypass, endocarditis, adult IO infusion, bird flu, new fluid resuscitation guidelines for trauma patients, drugs of abuse (Vicodin, Oxycontin), prediabetes, and management of hypothermia and drowning.
• NEW Show Me the Evidence boxes show the value and impact of evidence-based research.
• NEW Did You Know? boxes supplement chapter content with interesting and relevant information.
• NEW Look Again feature includes cross-references and specific page numbers for easy review of information that was covered in earlier chapters.
• NEW farm considerations in the Trauma section enhance rural practice with the kinematics of farm machinery incidents.
• Additional Critical Thinking boxes encourage the application of critical thinking skills to "real-life" EMS.
• Additional cultural considerations enhance your ability to deal with the issues of multicultural patients.
• NEW Advanced Practice Procedures in Critical Care appendix provides an overview of specialty procedures for paramedics who work in critical care settings.
• Revised and updated Emergency Drug Index reflects the new 2010 ECC guidelines with coverage of more than 75 emergency drugs, their dose and administration, onset and duration, indications and contraindications, adverse reactions, and special considerations.
The book contains predominantly color illustrations, with some black-and-white illustrations.
Thoroughly revised and extensively illustrated, this textbook provides complete coverage of prehospital care in a single, comprehensive text. The table of contents is structured to parallel the new United States Department of Transportation (US DOT) paramedic national standard curriculum, giving paramedic students all the resources they need to pass local, state, and national examinations. The text explains the paramedic’s role, the unique characteristics of prehospital care, the how-tos of patient assessment and emergency care for acutely ill and traumatically injured patients, the principles and practice of emergency cardiac care, emergency pharmacology, infectious diseases, pediatric and geriatric emergencies, and much more. A valuable resource for both paramedic students and practicing paramedics, this book keeps the reader abreast of evolving trends in the prehospital emergency care arena while laying the foundation for successful certification or recertification.
|1||Emergency medical services systems : roles and responsibilities||2|
|2||The well-being of the paramedic||22|
|6||Review of human systems||82|
|7||General principles of pathophysiology||150|
|8||Life span development||196|
|11||Techniques of physical examination||234|
|13||Clinical decision making||290|
|18||Venous access and medication administration||388|
|19||Airway management and ventilation||430|
|20||Trauma systems and mechanism of injury||501|
|21||Hemorrhage and shock||520|
|22||Soft tissue trauma||538|
|24||Head and facial trauma||580|
|33||Allergies and anaphylaxis||868|
|39||Infectious and communicable diseases||990|
|40||Behavioral and psychiatric disorders||1028|
|46||Abuse and neglect||1168|
|47||Patients with special challenges||1180|
|48||Acute interventions for the home health care patient||1194|
|50||Medical incident command||1224|
|51||Rescue awareness and operations||1240|
|52||Crime scene awareness||1260|
|53||Hazardous materials incidents||1270|
|54||Bioterrorism and weapons of mass destruction||1290|