Mosby's Pediatric Nursing Referenceby Cecily Lynn Betz, Linda A. Sowden
Provide the best possible nursing care to children and their families, no matter what their condition. This one-of-a-kind resource equips you with detailed information on commonly encountered pediatric diseases, medical and surgical conditions, and disorders, with separate sections devoted to diagnostic tests, outpatient procedures, and surgeries. Its compact, A-to-Z format is designed for ease of use in busy settings - perfect for quick reference when working with patients!
- Portable size and straightforward, alphabetical organization are designed for quick, convenient, on-the-spot reference.
- Consistent format throughout lets you easily locate necessary information, including pathophysiology, incidence, clinical manifestations, complications, laboratory and diagnostic tests, medical or surgical management, nursing assessment, diagnoses, and interventions, discharge planning and home care instructions, client outcomes, and references.
- The book is divided into three main parts covering 87 medical and surgical conditions, 12 topics related to diagnosis and procedures, and 16 helpful appendices.
- New chapters address autism spectrum disorders, chronic lung disease of infancy, Type 2 Diabetes, Down Syndrome, Fragile X Syndrome, overweight and childhood obesity, and Turner Syndrome.
- New appendices offer helpful information on mental health, non-accidental trauma, and palliative care.
- Updated charts and references in the appendices - specifically growth charts and immunization information - reflect current practice.
- Expanded content is provided on community resources.
Description: This book covers a variety of common pediatric diseases and disorders in a quick, easy-to-read format. Appendixes include laboratory values, growth and development information, pain, and palliative care. The previous edition was published in 2004.
Purpose: The authors describe this as a comprehensive resource for the delivery of high quality care to children and their families. With the variety of pediatric health conditions, it is impossible to remember them all. This book meets the objective as a comprehensive resource and the variety of conditions covered should fulfill most needs.
Audience: The authors suggest this book for pediatric nurses and nursing students. It would be useful for any nurse or nursing student working in a generalized pediatric area or clinic, but less useful in a specialized pediatric area. C. L. Betz is director of nursing training and research at Children's Hospital in Los Angeles and is editor-in-chief of the Journal of Pediatric Nursing. L. A. Sowden is Florida regional director of Pediatric Extended Care centers.
Features: The main part of the book covers common disorders, diseases and surgical conditions. Part 2 describes nursing care during tests and procedures. Diseases are listed alphabetically, so they are easy to locate, and each has additional references. In addition to nursing interventions, each section contains manifestations, appropriate diagnostic tests, and discharge planning. The nursing assessment and growth and development sections are comprehensive, and will serve as a good reference for those requiring a refresher on these basic skills. The appendixes cover laboratory normals and pediatric pain in depth and are a good resource.
Assessment: The list of diseases and information is complete enough for this to be a useful tool. The book is organized slightly differently from the previous edition, and the approach appears to be more conceptual. There are seven new chapters (including autism, spectrum disorders, and type 2 diabetes), and a new appendix on pediatric palliative care. If you need to have information on these conditions at your fingertips, it is worth it to replace the last edition. This book is superior to Lippincott Manual of Nursing Practice Pocket Guide: Pediatric Nursing (Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2007), covering more conditions/diseases and providing more in-depth information.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Sold by:
- Barnes & Noble
- NOOK Book
- File size:
- 6 MB
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews