Mosby's Stretching Pocket Guideby Sandra K. Anderson
Pub. Date: 12/09/2013
Publisher: Elsevier Health Sciences
From basic static stretches to advanced techniques like the pin-and-stretch, Mosby’s Stretching Pocket Guide defines and explains stretching and flexibility in a way that is both applicable to manual therapy professionals and easily understood by manual therapy students. Presented in an atlas format with over 200 illustrations, this convenient/b>
From basic static stretches to advanced techniques like the pin-and-stretch, Mosby’s Stretching Pocket Guide defines and explains stretching and flexibility in a way that is both applicable to manual therapy professionals and easily understood by manual therapy students. Presented in an atlas format with over 200 illustrations, this convenient reference has Spotlight boxes with salient points, and general assessment and stretching guidelines available in a clear, easy to understand format that is immediately applicable to manual therapy practice.
"There is excellent practical advice about the dangers of over-zealous stretching and the clearest warnings about the harm can be done and how long it may take this harm to settle. I wonder if the day of the pocket guide is almost over, to be replaced by the mobile phone or tablet on which these various stretching illustrations can all be shown in colour (and maybe with movement). If there is not already an app for stretching, I guess there soon will be." Reviewed by: Andrew Watson, Nottingham Date: Aug 2014
• Over 200 detailed line drawings and photos demonstrate basic and advanced stretching techniques.
• Atlas format helps you quickly and easily find the stretching technique and pertinent information you need.
• Coverage of basic information on stretching, flexibility, and range of motion gives you just the right amount of background information to help you understand the body mechanics involved in stretching techniques.
• Spotlight boxes highlight key concepts so you can check and reinforce facts at a glance.
• Glossary of stretching terms helps you to understand the language of the body in terms of stretching.
• List of references helps you obtain more detailed information when necessary.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 7.20(w) x 4.30(h) x 0.40(d)
Table of Contents
1. Stretching and Flexibility
•Stretching and flexibility are defined •Principles behind stretching and flexibility •Purpose and benefits of stretching •Explanation of how stretches can be reasoned out instead of memorized •Assessments to determine if stretching would be beneficial •Identifying target muscles/tissues
2. Basic Stretching Techniques
•Relationship between a line of tension and stretching •Safe and effective stretching methods •Direct tissue stretching •Longitudinal and cross directional direct tissue stretching •Difference between active and passive stretching •Static stretching •Dynamic stretching
3. Advanced Stretching Techniques
•Pin and stretch •Contract relax •Contract relax agonist contract (CRAC) •Combined stretching methods for increased effect
4. Stretching for Self-Care
•Principles of Stretching for self-care •Stretches
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >