Mosby's Tour Guide to Nursing School: A Student's Road Survival Kit / Edition 5by Melodie Chenevert
Pub. Date: 02/24/2006
Publisher: Elsevier Health Sciences
Encouraging, user-friendly, and altogether unique, Mosby’s Tour Guide to Nursing School encourages you to not only survive nursing school, but excel in whichever program you select. Throughout the book, Dr. Chenevert compares your journey through nursing school to a road trip, and she offers advice to increase your understanding, help you successfully
Encouraging, user-friendly, and altogether unique, Mosby’s Tour Guide to Nursing School encourages you to not only survive nursing school, but excel in whichever program you select. Throughout the book, Dr. Chenevert compares your journey through nursing school to a road trip, and she offers advice to increase your understanding, help you successfully navigate obstacles, and make your journey more enjoyable. You’ll learn how to prepare for the NCLEX® and your nursing career, how to get good grades, how to deal with failure, how to improve oral and written reports, and much more. A must-have for every nursing student!
• Endorsed by the National Student Nurses Association (NSNA).
• Written by a nationally known motivational speaker and nurse, the book’s down-to-earth approach uses humor and clever analogies to clearly teach the information you need to know.
• Uses the analogy of a cross-country road trip to help you see the relationships between different aspects of nursing school, as well as give you a finite view of its duration and end result.
• Inspirational quotes throughout offer wisdom and encouragement from fellow nursing students and graduates.
• The appendix lists numerous diverse resources you’ll find useful before, during, and after nursing school.
• Electronic Age Information covers distance learning, online courses, and podcasts, facilitating your success both in today’s electronic classroom and with the advancing technology in nursing.
• A special NCLEX® chapter (Chapter 29: Are We There Yet? Almost.) provides you with the tools you need to prepare for and pass the NCLEX®.
• Updated statistics and information on the emerging trends of the workforce keep you current with what’s happening in the world outside nursing and help you make educated choices during nursing school.
• Three chapters are devoted to diversity in today’s workforce and the non-traditional student.
• Thorough coverage of ADN, BSN, and RN-BSN programs (program prerequisites, differences, and more) helps you make informed decisions about your choice of nursing programs.
• An appendix of Online Resources provides quick and easy access to web sites that will assist both students and graduates with continued study and real-world advice.
Table of Contents
1 Ticket to Ride 2
Nursing is more than a great living. It's a great life. Career options to last a lifetime.
2 The Starting Lineup 8
If you've been admitted to a school of nursing, you can do anything! Cooperation, not competition, will bring success.
3 Is This Trip Really Necessary? 10
Determining whether you have what it takes to be a nurse. Diverse demands on a working nurse.
4 Destination: Registered Nurse 16
Tangible and intangible rewards of nursing.
5 How Long Will This Trip Take? 22
Three preparatory paths to nursing. Career aspirations and financial and time considerations determine the length of education.
6 How Much Will This Trip Cost? 28
Calculating and defraying expenses. Being a smart consumer and getting your money's worth.
7 Rules of the Road 34
Don't fight the system-work with it. Know your school's rules and follow them to the letter. Collisions between personal freedoms and professional responsibilities.
8 Slower Traffic Keep Right 38
Survival tips from students to students.
9 Driving Instructors 44
The importance of knowing faculty members thoroughly and understanding the many roles they play.
10 More Miles Per Gallon 50
Time management from A to Z.
11 Detours 58
Turning wishes into 'goals and goals into accomplishments. Issues for the student who must work while going to school.
12 You Can't Get There from Here 64
Problem-solving and assertiveness skills.
13 Drive-Up Teller 70
Making the best use of your memory bank: listening and learning, reading and remembering.
14 Tollbooth 78
Test-taking skills designed to boost your grades.
15 Totaled 86
Dealingwith failure: major and minor.
16 How to Jump-Start Your Battery 92
Procrastination and motivation.
17 10-4, Good Buddy 98
How to form and conduct study groups. Supporting each other.
18 Preventive Maintenance 106
The importance of taking care of yourself.
19 Scenic Routes 110
20 Bridges 114
Diversity within the nursing profession.
21 Business Routes 120
Improving oral and written reports.
22 Hot-Wired 128
Internet for nurses.
23 In the Driver's Seat 134
Taking full responsibility for your actions.
24 Shifting Gears 136
Difficulties of being a spouse/parent/student. Challenges of returning to school after a long absence. Making the transition from person to professional.
25 Moving Violations 146
Making the most of the nursing skills lab. Getting adequate experience in the clinical setting.
26 Defensive Driving 152
Rights and responsibilities. Conforming to the letter or the spirit of the law. Paperwork.
27 Street Smart 162
Surviving on tough turf. The importance of the first impressions and body language.
28 Life in the Fast Lane 168
Last-minute suggestions from senior students.
29 Are We There Yet? Almost 172
Tools to prepare for and pass the NCLEX? with flying colors.
30 Kick the Tires and Light the Fires 176
Transition from experienced student to inexperienced professional. Getting your first job as a nurse!
A Common Prefixes and Suffixes Used in Nursing 183
B Sources of Scholarships and Loans 189
C State Nurses Associations 193
D Canadian Nurses Associations 197
E Specialty Nursing Organizations 199
F U.S. State and Territorial Boards of Nursing 205
G Resources for NCLEX?- RN Review Available from Mosby/Elsevier 209
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >