Multicultural Counseling in Schools: A Practical Handbook / Edition 2by Paul B. Pedersen, John C. Carey
Pub. Date: 04/28/2002
Noted authorities in multicultural counseling contribute chapters covering important topics such as: promoting academic achievement, individual counseling, group counseling, family consultation, career development, violence prevention, training and consultation. The second edition of the classic book focuses on the practice of multicultural/b>/b>… See more details below
Noted authorities in multicultural counseling contribute chapters covering important topics such as: promoting academic achievement, individual counseling, group counseling, family consultation, career development, violence prevention, training and consultation. The second edition of the classic book focuses on the practice of multicultural counseling in K-12 school settings. The book sets itself apart from other multicultural books in that it does not attempt to provide information that is racial-ethnic specific; rather, it provides general principles of multicultural practice which are illustrated by reference to one or more racial-ethnic groups. Current theory and research are clearly reviewed with direct reference to the improvement of practice. New to this edition are chapters covering: Educational Reform and Multicultural Counseling in the Context of Standard-Based School Improvement; Working with Immigrant Groups; and Working with Disabled Students Across Cultures. School Counselors, Educators in Multicultural Classroom settings.
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Product dimensions:
- 7.00(w) x 9.00(h) x 0.80(d)
Table of Contents
1. School Counselor Involvement in Culture-Centered Education Reform (Colbert & Magouirk Colbert).
2. Cultural Identity Groups and Cultural Maps: Meaning Making in Groups (Washington).
3. Racial Identity Development and School Counseling (Helms).
4. Children of Immigrants: Their Worldviews Value Conflicts (Roysircar-Sodowsky & Frey).
5. Multicultural Counseling with Immigrant Students in Schools (Bemak & Chung).
6. Increasing Hispanic Parent Participation in Schools: The Role of the Counselor (Casas, Furlong, & Ruiz de Esparza).
7. Working Cross-Culturally in Family-School Partnerships (McKenna, Roberts, & Woodfin).
8. School Counselors and School Psychologists as School-Home-Community Liaisons in Ethnically Diverse Schools (Juntunen, Atkinson, & Tierney).
9. Improving the Multicultural Competence of Educators (Locke).
10. Multicultural Training in Schools as an Expansion of the Counselor's Role (Pedersen).
11. Reducing Violence in Multicultural Schools (Fontes).
12. Cross-Cultural Career Counseling in Schools (Leong & Tan).
13. Counseling Approaches to Working with Students with Disabilities from Diverse Backgrounds (Boscardin, Gonzalez-Martinez, & Brown-Chidsey).
14. Improving the Multicultural Effectiveness of Your School in the Context of State Standards, Accountability Measures, and High Stakes Assessment (Carey & Boscardin).
15. Defining School Counselor Roles in Culture-Centered Education Reform Within the Context of Student Concern Collaboration Teams (Colbert & Magouirk Colbert).
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >