This volume of public press readings is intended to address the need for a regular,annually published anthology that offers samples from the most recent journal literature in which the knowledge bases for multicultural education are developed. This collection will be useful in courses in multicultural education at the undergraduate and graduate levels. It will add considerable substance to the sociocultural foundation of education,educational policy studies,and leadership,as well as to coursework in other areas of preservice and inservice teacher education programs.
UNIT 1. The Social Contexts of Multicultural Education
1. Multiculturalism and Schools: The Struggle toward Open-Mindedness, Louis Denti, Educational Horizons, Spring 1998.
2. Minorities in Public Schools: Social Context of Education, The Education Digest, February 1998.
3. Segregation, Now, Julian E. Barnes, U.S. News & World Report, September 22, 1997.
4. The Un-United States of America: The End of Desegregation, G. Pritchy Smith and Deborah A. Batiste, Multicultural Education, Fall 1997.
5. Culture Defined: A Twenty-First Century Perspective, Cornell Thomas, Educational Horizons, Spring 1998.
6. Saving Public Education, Jonathan Kozol et al., The Nation, February 17, 1997.
UNIT 2. Teacher Education in Multicultural Perspective
7. A Good Teacher Is Hard to Find, Lawrence Hardy, The American School Board Journal, September 1998.
8. Student Teachers' Efforts to Promote Self-Esteem in Navajo Pupils, Laura L. Stachowski, The Educational Forum, Summer 1998.