Multicultural Education: Issues and Perspectives / Edition 5by James A. Banks, Cherry A. McGee Banks, Banks Cherry A. McGee
Pub. Date: 12/12/2003
This handy reference is designed to help present and future educators acquire the concepts, paradigms, and explanations needed to become effective practitioners in culturally, racially, and language diverse classrooms and schools. The Fifth Edition reflects current and emerging research, concepts, and debates about the education of students from both genders and
This handy reference is designed to help present and future educators acquire the concepts, paradigms, and explanations needed to become effective practitioners in culturally, racially, and language diverse classrooms and schools. The Fifth Edition reflects current and emerging research, concepts, and debates about the education of students from both genders and from different cultural, racial, ethnic, and language groups.
Table of Contents
Part I: Issues and Concepts.
1. Multicultural Education: Characteristics and Goals (James A. Banks).
2. Culture in Society and in Educational Practices (Frederick Erickson).
3. Race, Class, Gender, and Disability in the Classroom (Carl A. Grant and Christine E. Sleeter).
Part II: Social Class and Religion.
4. Social Class and Educational Equality (Caroline Hodges Persell).
5. Christian Nation or Pluralistic Culture: Religion in American Life (Charles H. Lippy)
Feature: Introduction to American Muslims: Cousins and Strangers
Feature: American Muslims: Cousins and Strangers (Diana L. Eck).
Part III: Gender.
6. Gender Bias: From Colonial America to Today's Classrooms (David Sadker and Myra Sadker).
7. Classrooms for Diversity: Rethinking Curriculum and Pedagogy (Mary Kay Thompson Tetreault).
8. Transforming the Curriculum: Teaching About Women of Color (Johnnella E. Butler).
Part IV: Race, Ethnicity, and Language.
9. Educational Equality for Students of Color (Geneva Gay).
10. Approaches to Multicultural Curriculum Reform (James A. Banks).
11. The Colorblind Perspective in School: Causes and Consequences (Janet Ward Schofield).
12. Language Diversity and Education (Carlos J. Ovando).
Part V: Exceptionality.
13. Educational Equality for Students with Disabilities (William L. Heward, Sara C. Ernsbarger and Rodney A. Cavenaugh).
14. School Inclusion and Multicultural Issues in Special Education (Luanna H. Meyer, Jill Bevan-Brown, Beth Harry, and Mara Sapon-Shevin).
15. Recruiting and Retaining Gifted Students from Diverse Ethnic, Cultural, and Language Groups (Donna Y. Ford).
Part VI: School Reform.
16. School Reform and Student Learning: A Multicultural Perspective (Sonia Nieto).
17. Families and Teachers: Working Together for School Improvement (Cherry A. McGee Banks).
Appendix: Multicultural Resources.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >
I cannot access this book on my nook - very irritating and inconvenient, Don't buy this version it is a ripoff. Get the hard copy.