Part I: Issues of History and Method.
1. Spirituality and Theology: The Questions at Issue.
2. Mystery and Doctrine: The Historical Integrity of Spirituality and Theology.
3. Recovering the Mystical Element of Theology: The Twentieth-Century Examples of Rahner and von Balthasar.
4. Theological Hermeneutics and Spiritual Texts.
Part II: Mystical Theology in Practice.
5. Trinitarian Self-Abandon and the Problem of Divine Suffering.
6. The Hiddenness of God and the Self-Understanding of Jesus.
7. Love for the Other and Discovery of the Self.