1. Gilbert & Sullivan:.
The Making and Un-making of a British 'Tradition': David Cannadine.
2. Speaking with Double Tongue:.
Mother Goose and the Old Wives' Tale: Marina Warner.
3. The Fifth of November Remembered: David Cressy.
4. The Tramp: M. A. Crowther.
5. The English Bobby: .
An Indulgent Tradition: Clive Emsley.
6. Name upon Name:.
The Great War and Remembrance: Robert Bushaway.
7. Discretion, Sobriety and Wisdom:.
The Teacher in Children's Books: Margaret Kinnell.
8. Authority in the University:.
Balliol and Newnham in Loco Parentis: Reba Soffer.
9. The Gentleman and the Hero:.
Wellington and Napoleon in the 19th Century: Iain Pears.
10. Britishness and Portraiture: Trudi Prescott Nuding.
Notes on Contributors.