- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
Lively and fascinating, this in-depth study is complemented by maps, genealogical tables, and 64 pages of photographs. Included, too, are an appendix on additional myths, chapter notes, and an updated bibliography and index.
Part I: The Heroes of Homer
1. The Wrath of Achilles i. The Story Told in the Iliad
ii. Troy and Homer iii. Achilles: Helen iv. The Qualities of a Hero v. The Hero and His Gods
2. Odysseus i. The Story Told in the Odyssey
ii. Odysseus iii. Ever-repeated Tales iv. Beyond the World's End
Part II: Zeus, Apollo, Demeter
3. The Rise of Zeus i. The Story Told in the Theogony
ii. Myths of Creation iii. Zeus Was Not Always There iv. The Destruction of the Rebels
4. Apollo and Demeter i. The Story Told in the Hymn to Apollo
ii. The Brilliant God of Hellenism iii. The Story Told in the Hymn to Demeter
iv. Mother Earth v. Myth and Ritual
Part III: Agamemnon and Prometheus
5. The House of Agamemnon i. The Story of the Oresteia Told by Aeschylus ii. Tragic Drama Chooses Myth iii. The God Who Exacts the Price iv. To O'Neill, Eliot and Sartre
6. Prometheus i. The Story of the Prometheus Bound Told by Aeschylus ii. The Resistance Hero
Part IV: Oedipus and Antigone
7. Oedipus i. The Story of the King Oedipus Told by Sophocles ii. Why Is Oedipus Destroyed?
iii. The Oedipus Complex iv. Oedipus at Colonus
8. Antigone i. The Story of the Antigone Told by Sophocles ii. Who Is Right and Who Is Wrong?
Part V: Heracles and Dionysus
9. Heracles Who Conquers Death i. The Story of the Alcestis Told by Euripides ii. A New Look at the Myths iii. The Harrowing of Hell
10. Dionysus Who Gives Ecstasy i. The Story of the Bacchae Told by Euripides ii. The Irresistable Irrational
Part VI: Heroic Searchers
11. The Quest for the Golden Fleece i. The Story of the Argonautica Told by Apollonius ii. Alexandrians and Victorians
12. The Quest for a Lost Wife i. The Story of Orpheus and Eurydice Told by Virgil ii. The Holy Orphic Books iii. The Poetic Expression of Myth
13. The Quest for a New Home i. The Story of the Aeneid Told by Virgil ii. Nationalism and Guilt iii. The Two Gates of Sleep
14. The Quest for a Roman Past i. The Story of Romulus Told by Livy ii. Patriotic Foundation-myth iii. The Stories of Tarquin and Horatius Told by Livy iv. History in Legend
Part VII: The Thousand Faces of Love
15. Ovid i. Changes of Shape ii. Loves Sad and Heavy iii. Loves Triumphant iv. Pious Couples Rewarded
16. The Invisible Lover i. The Story of Cupid and Psyche Told by Apuleius ii. Fairy-Story iii. Allegory?
17. He Died for Love i. The Story of Hero and Leander Told by Musaeus ii. Autumnal Tint
Some Additional Myths