Neurology and General Medicineby Michael J. Aminoff
Better understand your patients' complete medical profile and provide the best possible care! This one-of-a-kind reference provides a practical look at neurological disease and how it affects, and is affected by, other disease. It helps neurologists manage patients with co-existing medical conditions, and helps internists understand and treat the neurological manifestations of patients' primary diseases. A new emphasis on diagnosis and management—including advances in pharmacology, genetic-based therapies, and new imaging techniques—makes this 4th Edition more clinically valuable than ever!
- Focused content highlights the vital links between neurology and other medical specialties, promoting a better understanding of all disciplines, as well as enhancing patient care.
- Comprehensive coverage of advances in pharmacology, such as new antibiotics for infectious diseases, helps you successfully manage a full range of diseases and disorders.
- An interdisciplinary team of authors provides insight into the neurological aspects of the conditions you see in daily practice.
- Easy-to-read chapters apply equally well to neurologists and non-neurologists, providing essential knowledge that covers the full spectrum of medical care.
- Expanded chapters emphasize key diagnostic and therapeutic information, including appropriate testing and treatments for neurological disease.
- An emphasis on advances in pharmacology and new imaging techniques helps you better manage your patients and understand how new drugs or therapies will affect your patients and practice.
- New chapters on auditory and vestibular disease, ocular disease, and cutaneous disease provide a well-rounded look at the specialty.
- Updated illustrations make complex concepts easier to understand and apply.
Description: This is the second edition of a unique book that deals with the different neurologic manifestations of common diseases in general medicine.
Purpose: The main purpose is to serve as a bridge between neurology and other medical subspecialties. Precisely because of this, it has received a wide acceptance from both internists and neurologists.
Audience: Although primarily intended for the neurologist and internist, this book will also be helpful for doctors in the surgical specialties. Most of the authors are well known in their respective fields.
Features: This second edition has a handsome new cover and, as in the first edition, the text is large and easy to read. Helpful illustrations have been added, and the references have been updated.
Assessment: Several years have passed since the first edition of this crucial book dealing with neurology and the other medical disciplines. Chapters on environmental medicine and neurotoxicology have been added. With the expansion of the subspecialties of medicine and the tremendous amount of new information since the first edition, this book was necessarily updated. I highly recommend the book not only to consulting neurologists but also to those in related medical and surgical specialties.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Sold by:
- Barnes & Noble
- NOOK Book
- File size:
- 31 MB
- This product may take a few minutes to download.
Meet the Author
Dr. Michael Aminoff was born and educated in England, graduating from University College London in 1962 and as a physician from University College Hospital Medical School in 1965. He subsequently trained in neurology and neurophysiology at The National Hospital (Queen Square) in London, and in 1974 moved to UCSF where he has been Professor of Neurology since 1982. He was Director of the Clinical Neurophysiology Laboratories at UCSF until 2004, when he became Executive Vice Chair of the department of neurology, and also directs the Parkinson’s Disease Clinic and Research Center, a National Parkinson Foundation Center of Excellence.
He is the author of more than 230 published medical or scientific articles, as well as the author or editor of some 29 books. His published scientific contributions led to the award of a Doctorate in Science, an advanced doctorate in the Faculty of Science, by the University of London in 2000. He is the one of the two editors-in-chief of the four-volume Encyclopedia of the Neurological Sciences (2nd Edition, Academic Press, 2014), and one of the series editors of the multi-volume Handbook of Clinical Neurology (Elsevier). He was Editor-in Chief of the journal Muscle&Nerve from 1998 to 2007 and serves on numerous other editorial boards. He was a director of the American Board of Psychiatry&Neurology for 8 years, and chair of the board in 2011.
Dr. Aminoff has received numerous prizes including the Lifetime Achievement Award of the American Association of Neuromuscular&Electrodiagnostic Medicine in 2006 and the A.B. Baker Award of the American Academy of Neurology for life-time achievements and contributions to medical education in 2007. In 2010, he was awarded the title of “Distinguished Professor at the University of California, San Francisco.
He is married and has three children, one a pediatric rheumatologist, another a federal defense attorney, and the third an assistant district attorney.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >