Neuropathology: A Reference Text of CNS Pathologyby David Ellison, Sebastian Brandner, Leila Maria Cardao Chimelli, Brian Harding
Solve your toughest neurodiagnostic challenges with Neuropathology, 3rd Edition - the most information-packed, extensively illustrated neuropathology reference available! An expert author team presents more than 3,000 high-quality images - nearly all in full color - to provide unmatched visual guidance on the microscopic and gross/b>/i>/b>/b>… See more details below
Solve your toughest neurodiagnostic challenges with Neuropathology, 3rd Edition - the most information-packed, extensively illustrated neuropathology reference available! An expert author team presents more than 3,000 high-quality images - nearly all in full color - to provide unmatched visual guidance on the microscopic and gross pathologic presentation of a full range of neurologic diseases.
• Diagnose with confidence by consulting the most extensive published image collection in neuropathology, which includes an exceptional number of gross pathology images, a feature poorly represented in other texts.
• Access the complete contents online and download all the images at www.expertconsult.com.
• Understand the most recent developments in neurologic diseases and quickly identify important variants and outliers.
• Meet the needs of an aging population with expanded coverage of Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease, motor neuron disorders, and prion diseases, as well as conditions such as multiple sclerosis.
• Apply the latest knowledge on molecular genetics and the growing role of genetic testing.
• Make optimal use of today’s functional imaging techniques with new information on PET, fMRI, and SPECT.
• Stay current with the newest diagnostic protocols and guidelines as endorsed by professional societies and national bodies, the most recent WHO classification of central nervous system diseases, and checklists for the handling and diagnosis of CNS tumors and tumor-like lesions.
• Get outstanding visual guidance with new full-color images, and new and updated drawings that clarify complex entities and concepts.
Description: This general neuropathology reference is filled with high-quality illustrations, colorful cartoon drawings, tables, and boxes containing bulleted disease-specific information. Color-coding is used to highlight important information on pathogenesis, clinical data, and differential diagnosis or practical tips relevant to diagnosis. The first edition of this text appeared in 1998.
Purpose: The goal of the authors was to create a richly illustrated neuropathology reference that would serve as more than an atlas. The need for this type of resource is great in such a visually based discipline, and the high quality of the book's illustrations with supporting text and bulleted items meet this goal.
Audience: The authors have written the book with diagnostic pathologists and neuropathologists in mind; however, the format of this book is appropriate for students and residents, including those in other disciplines, such as neurology and neurosurgery. The lead authors, Drs Ellison and Love, are experienced and well recognized neuropathologists as are Drs Chimelli, Harding, Lowe, and Vinters.
Features: The book offers a comprehensive overview of major neuropathology topics in 10 areas, including general neuropathological principles, developmental disorders, vascular diseases, trauma, infections, demyelinating disease, metabolic and nutritional disorders, toxic injury, neurodegenerative disorders, and neoplasms. An accompanying CD, tucked into a plastic pocket inside the front cover, holds images and diagrams from the text in PDF or JPG formats to facilitate teaching presentations. The majority of the images, both in the text and on the CD, are of high quality and resolution, and exceed the quality of several other current neuropathology references. The tables and colorful diagrams are well executed, useful adjuncts to the text. The chapters on neurodegenerative diseases contain tables with useful summaries of clinical and neuropathological data, updated genetic information, and photographs highlighting key immunohistochemical reactions. More obscure subjects and details of animal-based models of human disease are not included. The reference lists have grown considerably, with updates, since the first edition, but an extensive bibliography is not a feature, and the text does not carry literature citations.
Assessment: This reference is a rich resource of high quality color gross and microscopic photographs with supporting text, diagrams, tables, and boxes that contain concise, pertinent information about the majority of the diseases that affect the human nervous system. The images, both in the print version and on CD, surpass those found in the current Greenfield's Neuropathology text and CD. The addition of new entities along with new updates on existing disorders, more references, and expansion of topics from the first edition justify this new edition.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- New Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 9.80(w) x 12.20(h) x 1.60(d)
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >