- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
This book presents a set of key papers for those who may have forgotten them as well as for those who, entering the field today, may never have been exposed to these seminal works in Physical Anthropology. It then reaches beyond history to tell the story of the practice of the field, showing—through current research and field work—how the framework has been articulated and expanded over the years.
Preface, by Gordon Getty
Introduction, by Dr. David Hamburg President of the Carnegie Corporation
SETTING THE STAGE.
1. The New Physical Anthropology 1951, S.L. Washburn.
AN EVOLUTIONARY COMPARATIVE FUNCTIONAL ANATOMY.
2. The Analysis of Primate Evolution with Particular Reference to the Origin of Man 1951, S. L. Washburn.
3. Life History of Gombe Chimpanzees: The Inside View from the Skeleton, M.E. Morbeck.
4. Electromyography, Elastic Energy, and Knuckle-Walking: A Lesson in Experimental Anthropology, R. Tuttle, B. Hallgrimsson and J. Basmajian.
THE PROMISE OF PRIMATOLOGY.
5. The Promise of Primatology 1973, S.L. Washburn.
6. The Primate Brain and the Origin of Intelligence, H.D. Steklis.
7. Visual-Spatial Neurological Modeling as a Possible Mechanism for Learning and Managing Social Structure, C. Bramblett, A. Coelho, and S. Easley.
8. Theory, Method, Gender and Culture: What Changed Our Views of Primate Society? S.C. Strum, L.M. Fedigan.
DIAGNOSING EVOLUTIONARY COMPLEXES.
9. Aggressive Behavior in Old World Monkeys and Apes 1968, S.L. Washburn, D.A. Hamburg.
10. A Mystery: Explaining Behavior, P. Dolhinow.
11. Good Taste, Good Sense or Just Plain Good Sexual Differences in the Metabolism of Alcohol, A.J. Almquist, D. Matsuda.
IMPROVED PHYLOGENETIC RECONSTRUCTIONS.
12. One Hundred Years of Anthropology 1968, S.L. Washburn.
13. Fashions and Models in Human Evolution: Contributions of Sherwood Washburn, A. Zihlman.
14. Genetics of Old World Monkeys: One Aspect of the “New” Physical Anthropology, T.R. Turner, M.L. Weiss.
15. Evolutionary Information from Fossil Molecules, J.M. Lowenstein.
THE CHALLENGE OF SCIENCE.
16. Human Evolution: Science or Game? 1973, S.L. Washburn.
17. Science and Constructivism: Notes Toward a Reconciliation, R.B. Lee.
SCIENCE AND THE FUTURE.
18. Evolution and Learning: A Context for Evaluation 1975, S.L. Washburn.
19. Zoos as Arks: Issues in Ex Situ Propagation of Endangered Wildlife, D. Lindburg.
WASHBURN, THE TEACHER.
20. Evolution of a Teacher, S L. Washburn.
21. Sherry Washburn and the Revolution in Functional Anatomy, T. Grand.
The New Physical Anthropology: Science, Humanism, and Critical Reflection, S.C Strum.
The Study of Race, S.L. Washburn.
The Evolution of Hunting, S.L. Washburn, C.S. Lancaster.
The Social Life of Baboons, S.L. Washburn, I. DeVore.
Behavior and Human Evolution, S.L. Washburn.
Conflict in Primate Society, S.L. Washburn.