Brian M. Pete is president of The Education Associates, an international consulting firm, and cofounder of Robin Fogarty & Associates. He has a rich background in professional development and has worked in and videotaped classroom teachers and professional experts in schools throughout the United States, Europe, Asia, Australia, and New Zealand. Pete's work on educational videos include Best Practices: Classroom Management and Best Practices: Active Learning Classrooms. He is the coauthor of books that include From Staff Room to Classroom (Corwin Press 2007), and titles from the Nutshell Collection, which include How to Differentiate Learning, Data!Dialogue! Decisions!, Twelve Principles That Make the Difference, Nine Best Practices That Make the Difference, Close the Achievement Gap, The Adult Learner, and A Look at Transfer.
Robin Fogarty is president of Robin Fogarty and Associates, Ltd., an educational publishing/consulting company. A leading proponent of the thoughtful classroom, she has trained educators throughout the world in curriculum, instruction, and assessment strategies. Fogarty has taught at all levels, from kindergarten to college, served as an administrator, and consulted with state departments and ministries of education in the United States, Puerto Rico, Russia, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Germany, Great Britain, Singapore, Korea, and the Netherlands. She has published articles in Educational Leadership, Phi Delta Kappan and the Journal of Staff Development. Fogarty has written How to Differentiate Learning (Corwin Press, 2007), Literacy Matters (Corwin Press, 2006), and From Staff Room to Classroom: Planning and Coaching Professional Learning (Corwin Press, 2006). Fogarty received her doctorate in curriculum and human resource development from Loyola University, Chicago.
About This Nutshell Book
1. Family of Strategies: Finding Similarities and Differences (1SD)
2. Family of Strategies: Summarizing and Note-taking (2SN)
3. Family of Strategies: Reinforcing Effort and Providing Recognition (3RR)
4. Family of Strategies: Homework and Practice (4HP)
5. Family of Strategies: Nonlinguistic Representations (5NR)
6. Family of Strategies: Cooperative Learning (6CL)
7. Family of Strategies: Setting Objective and Providing Feedback (7OF)
8. Family of Strategies: Generating and Testing Hypotheses (8HG)
9. Family of Strategies: Questions and Cues and Advanced Organizers (9QCA)
Appendix A: People Search: "Best Practices" That Make the Difference