Nunn's Applied Respiratory Physiology / Edition 7by Andrew B. Lumb
Here's the definitive text on the principles and applications of respiratory physiology-back in a fully revised and updated New Edition! Readers will find crucial management guidance on all the conditions they see in practice with its comprehensive, clinically oriented descriptions of lung function in health, disease, and altered conditions and environments.… See more details below
Here's the definitive text on the principles and applications of respiratory physiology-back in a fully revised and updated New Edition! Readers will find crucial management guidance on all the conditions they see in practice with its comprehensive, clinically oriented descriptions of lung function in health, disease, and altered conditions and environments. Anesthesia and Analgesia called the previous edition "an easily digestible compendium of basic physiological principles" and a "'born again' classic."
- Describes respiration in health and disease and in normal and abnormal situations, to help readers manage all conditions they see in their practices.
- Examines the respiratory effects of exercise, sleep, smoking, anaesthesia, drowning, anaemia, pregnancy, and other events as well as environmental factors such as altitude, flying, high pressure, closed environments, and air pollution on respiration.
- Maintains the clarity of style and single-author approach of previous editions through the close collaboration of Andrew Lumb and John Nunn.
- Makes difficult concepts easy to understand and apply with nearly 300 illustrations.
- A new chapter on Drugs and the Lung (Ch. 23), which discusses drug actions and the mechanism of action for commonly used respiratory drugs, and a new chapter on the History of Respiratory Physiology (Ch. 13).
- More coverage of pathophysiology and even more applications of respiratory physiology to clinical practice.
- A more consistent organization, a revised page design that aids readability, and an art program featuring new and newly redrawn illustrations.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 7.30(w) x 9.80(h) x 1.20(d)
Table of ContentsPart 1: Basic principles
1. The atmosphere
2. Functional anatomy of the respiratory tract
3. Elastic forces and lung volumes
4. Respiratory system resistance
5. Control of breathing
6. Pulmonary ventilation
7. The pulmonary circulation
8. Distribution of pulmonary ventilation and perfusion
9. Diffusion of respiratory gases
10. Carbon dioxide
12. Non-respiratory functions of the lung
13. The history of respiratory physiology
Part 2: Applied physiology
14. Pregnancy, neonates and children
17. High altitude and flying
18. High pressure and diving
19. Respiration in closed environments and space
21. Smoking and air pollution
23. Changes in the carbon dioxide tension
26. Hyperoxia and oxygen toxicity
Part 3: Physiology of pulmonary disease
27. Ventilatory failure
28. Airways disease
29. Pulmonary vascular disease
30. Parenchymal lung disease
31. Acute lung injury
32. Respiratory support and artificial ventilation
33. Lung transplantation
A. Physical quantities and units of measurement
B. The gas laws
C. Conversion factors for gas volumes
D. Symbols and abbreviations
E. Nomograms and correction charts
F. Mathematical functions relevant to respiratory physiology
• The linear function
• The rectangular hyperbola or inverse function
• The parabola or squared function
• Exponential functions
• The tear-away exponential function
• The wash-out or die-away exponential function
• The wash-in exponential function
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >