Nursing Education In The Clinical Setting / Edition 1by Roberta J. Emerson
Pub. Date: 09/01/2006
Publisher: Elsevier Health Sciences
2007 AJN Book of the Year Award Winner
Nursing Education in the Clinical Setting provides a practical approach to clinical nursing instruction. Although grounded in adult learning theory, this unique resource provides practical suggestions and addresses common questions and issues. The text incorporates illustrative scenarios, discussion questions, and reflection
2007 AJN Book of the Year Award Winner
Nursing Education in the Clinical Setting provides a practical approach to clinical nursing instruction. Although grounded in adult learning theory, this unique resource provides practical suggestions and addresses common questions and issues. The text incorporates illustrative scenarios, discussion questions, and reflection exercises designed to facilitate thoughtful application of the content.
• Addresses the role transition for a nurse with clinical expertise to that of clinical nursing instructor.
• Provides important tips for effectively appraising student performance such as student involvement in self-evaluation and goal setting, and suggestions for how evaluation and appraisal are shared with the student.
• Incorporates sample scenarios to illustrate concepts and allow the reader to apply them.
• Integrates discussion questions and exercises designed to facilitate thoughtful application and critical thinking skills.
• Addresses all aspects of learning, including "cognitive" (e.g., critical thinking), "affective" (e.g., caring), and "psychomotor" (e.g., technical skills).
• Provides actual examples of tools to be used for documenting student performance and approaches for stimulating student involvement and critical thinking.
• Includes a separate chapter on Clinical Faculty as Clinical Coach that discusses how learning is facilitated in the clinical setting with the guidance of an effective teacher.
• Features a Clinical Toolbox that contains a variety of supplemental resources, including sample approaches for teaching and evaluation, suggestions for preparing anecdotal notes, and relevant reference material.
• Incorporates issues related to computer access of patient data banks for students, and the federal regulations mandated by HIPAA and their clinical education implications.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- New Edition
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 0.82(w) x 6.00(h) x 9.00(d)
Table of Contents
Unit I. Orienting New Faculty to the Teaching Role
1. Clinical Nursing Practitioner to Clinical Nursing Faculty: a Challenging Transition
2. Theoretical Foundations of the Clinical Nursing Practicum
3. Philosophy and Models of Clinical Nursing Education
4. Today’s Student, Tomorrow’s Nurse: Characteristics and Clinical Educational Implications for Nursing Students
Unit II. Legal and Ethical Issues in Clinical Nursing Education
5. Rights and Responsibilities: the Clinical Agency
6. Rights and Responsibilities: the Student
7. Rights and Responsibilities: the Faculty
8. Legal and Ethical Implications in the Clinical Education Setting
Unit III. Setting the Stage
9. Preparing the Clinical Learning Environment
10. Preparing for the Students
Unit IV. Tools, Tactics, and Techniques
11. Stimulating the Growth of Critical Thinking and Clinical Judgment
12. Role of the Nursing Learning Resource Center
13. Clinical Faculty as Clinical Coach
14. Group Learning Experiences: Seminars and Conferences
15. Written Assignments
16. Challenging Student Situations
17. Hot Topics in Clinical Nursing Education
Unit V. Endings and Beginnings
18. Assessing Student Learning Outcomes: Evaluation and Grading
19. The Teacher as Student: Evaluation and Career Development
Unit VI: Clinical Educator Resources
20. Clinical Toolbox
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >