Nursing Research: Methods and Critical Appraisal for Evidence-Based Practice / Edition 6by Geri LoBiondo-Wood, Judith Haber
Pub. Date: 10/14/2005
Publisher: Elsevier Health Sciences
This is a comprehensive but easy-to-understand nursing research textbook that is designed to introduce students to research concepts and methods, as well as teach how to evaluate research and apply scientific evidence to practice. The 6th edition now includes an increased emphasis on evidence-based practice, and teaches the reader how to analyze research by… See more details below
This is a comprehensive but easy-to-understand nursing research textbook that is designed to introduce students to research concepts and methods, as well as teach how to evaluate research and apply scientific evidence to practice. The 6th edition now includes an increased emphasis on evidence-based practice, and teaches the reader how to analyze research by demonstrating in detail the components of research, the types of research, and how to use research information. The thread of evidence-based practice has been enhanced from cover to cover, including the addition of "Evidence-Based Practice Tips" throughout. The sixth edition now features a full-color design and illustrations.
• Quantitative research and qualitative research are presented separately, in a balanced manner.
• A inviting Research Vignette opens each of the book's four Parts, introducing students to real-world practitioners of nursing research.
• Unique Helpful Hint boxes offer practical tips for avoiding common pitfalls in nursing research.
• Critiquing Guides offer essential questions to ask when critiquing aspects of a research article.
• Critical Thinking Decision Paths are flowchart-style diagrams with critical decision points that guide students through the process of decsion-making in conducting and interpreting research.
• Critical Thinking Challenges are thought-provoking questions at the end of each chapter.
• Critique of a Research Study features demonstrate how to apply critiquing skills to a research study.
• Additional popular pedagogical aids include Key Terms lists, Learning Outcomes, and Key Points summaries, along with many tables, boxes, and figures.
• Appendix includes four updated full-text research articles - referenced throughout the text.
• New focus on evidence-based practice.
• Three chapters focus on evidence-based practice, including the new Tools for Applying Evidence to Practice chapter (Chapter 20), which covers implementation of protocols for evidence-based practice, standards of care, care maps, and more.
• Evidence-Based Practice Tip boxes provide tips for applying research evidence to practice.
• An evidence-based practice icon highlights key evidence-based content.
• Critical Thinking Challenges include at least one question per chapter focused on evidence-based practice.
• Practice examples of evidence-based nursing are updated and expanded.
• Updated coverage of HIPAA regulations, replication, genetics, sample size, and power calculations keeps students on the cutting edge of changes in the field.
• New Example Glossary not only includes definitions of key terms and concepts but also references to in-text examples of the concepts, with page references.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Product dimensions:
- 7.44(w) x 9.34(h) x 0.99(d)
Table of Contents
PART 1: RESEARCH OVERVIEW
Chapter 1: The Role of Research in Nursing
Chapter 2: The Research Process: Integrating Evidence-Based Practice (NEW Title)
Chapter 3: Developing Research Questions and Hypotheses (NEW Title)
Chapter 4: Literature Review
Chapter 5: Theoretical Framework
PART 2: PROCESSES RELATED TO QUALITATIVE RESEARCH
Chapter 6: Introduction to Qualitative Research
Chapter 7: Qualitative Approaches to Research
Chapter 8: Evaluating Qualitative Research
PART 3: PROCESSES RELATED TO QUANTITATIVE RESEARCH
Chapter 9: Introduction to Quantitative Research
Chapter 10: Experimental and Quasiexperimental Designs
Chapter 11: Nonexperimental Designs
Chapter 12: Sampling
Chapter 13: Legal and Ethical Issues
Chapter 14: Data-Collection Methods
Chapter 15: Reliability and Validity
Chapter 16: Data (NEW Title)
Chapter 17: Analysis of Findings (NEW Title)
Chapter 18: Evaluating Quantitative Research
PART 4: APPLICATION OF RESEARCH: EVIDENCE-BASED PRACTICE
Chapter 19: Developing an Evidence-Based Practice (NEW Title)
Chapter 20: Tools for Applying Evidence to Practice NEW!
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >