Nurturing Massage for Pregnancy: A Practical Guide to Bodywork for the Perinatal Cycleby Leslie Stager
Pub. Date: 01/01/2009
Publisher: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
Nurturing Massage for Pregnancy is one of the most comprehensive books available for massage students and licensed massage therapists who treat pregnant, laboring, and postpartum clients. The author is a highly skilled perinatal massage instructor who is also a registered nurse, childbirth educator, and doula. Written in clear and direct language, this/b>… See more details below
Nurturing Massage for Pregnancy is one of the most comprehensive books available for massage students and licensed massage therapists who treat pregnant, laboring, and postpartum clients. The author is a highly skilled perinatal massage instructor who is also a registered nurse, childbirth educator, and doula. Written in clear and direct language, this useful guide offers step by step instructions for hundreds of techniques useful during the pregnancy, labor, and postpartum periods, including general techniques and those specific to common complaints. While focused on general Swedish massage, the book also integrates myofascial release, lymphatic drainage, acupressure, and reflexology, as well as complementary bodywork methodologies such as the use of breath and visualizations, stretches, hydrotherapy, and aromatherapy. Contraindications and precautions are examined thoroughly, health intakes forms are discussed with sample forms pictured, and case studies help highlight concerns and considerations. Video clips are available online for viewing specific technique demonstrations.
The text includes:
- Insert boxes including Self-Care Tips for the Mother, Massage Therapist Tips, Traditional Birth Practices, How the Partner can Help, and Dispelling Myths.
- Review questions and learning objectives to help focus the reader's understanding of the material.
- Video clips of techniques and concepts, indicated in the book with an icon directing the reader to the online companion Website.
- Common complaints for each phase of the perinatal cycle.
- Seven chapters on pregnancy, three on labor, and three on postpartum.
- Online appendices with resources for the practitioner and a quick list of contraindications.
- Over 100 photographs and line drawings
- Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
- Publication date:
- LWW Massage Therapy and Bodywork Educational Series
- Edition description:
- New Edition
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 8.30(w) x 10.80(h) x 0.50(d)
Table of Contents
- Chapter 1: Massage During Pregnancy: A Unique Opportunity
- Chapter 2: Physiological and Emotional Changes During Pregnancy
- Chapter 3: Postural and Muscular Adaptations Related to Pregnancy
- Chapter 4: Precautions and Contraindications for Bodywork During Pregnancy
- Chapter 5: General Massage for Pregnancy
- Chapter 6: Common Complaints During Pregnancy
- Chapter 7: Bodywork in Preparation for Birth
- Chapter 8: Supporting Women During Labor and Birth
- Chapter 9: Massage for the Stages of Labor
- Chapter 10: Common Complaints During Labor
- Chapter 11: Reincorporation: The Postpartum Period
- Chapter 12: Bodywork for the Postpartum Client
- Chapter 13: Massage After Birth-Related Surgery
PART I: PREGNANCY
PART II: BIRTH
PART III: POSTPARTUM PERIOD
- Appendix A: REFERENCE LIST OF CONTRAINDICATIONS
- Appendix B: RESOURCES FOR THE PRACTITIONER
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >